Talk

Advanced search

8 month olds weight

(6 Posts)
strawberryswing Wed 10-Apr-13 12:38:22

My 8.5 month old dd has just had her 8 month development check. The health visitor said that her weight 'isnt what they'd like it to be' and started giving me tips on how to 'fatten her up'

I've just looked in the red book and she is weighing 8kg and on the 50th centile so I'm confused as to what she should be?

How much does/did your 8 month old weigh?

sammysaidso Wed 10-Apr-13 13:14:11

To be honest the health visitors are full of s**t blush
If she's happy and healthy that's all that matters.

mummy2benji Wed 10-Apr-13 18:34:29

50th centile is absolutely fine, bang on the mean average. Has she dropped centiles? If she's remained consistently on or around the 50th centile then her weight is perfectly normal and I don't know what your HV was referring to. I'm a GP as well as a mum (my 5mo dd2 is on the 50th centile for weight).

strawberryswing Wed 10-Apr-13 19:41:00

yes I'm just starting to think she was full of shit!

She has never dropped any centiles, she was on the 25th when born and has been around the 50th for a few months now. Just got me all in a flap because she does look skinny because of her length.

Feel better now thanks smile

mummy2benji Wed 10-Apr-13 23:06:43

Glad you feel better smile Some babies are thinner than others and while your HV might prefer to see a bit more chub, trying to make a baby eat more than he / she wants or needs to is likely to cause you and the baby stress. My ds1 (4) is a skinnymalinks despite being allowed more biscuits and cakes than he really should have to try to fatten him up, but that's just his build. If your dd is content and healthy and keeping to the same centile then she sounds fine to me.

MagratGarlik Wed 10-Apr-13 23:15:33

They are only supposed to get worried if baby drops more than 2 centiles (so a drop from 95th to 50th would be considered as bad as a drop from 25th to 0.4th). Since you say she hasn't dropped any, there isn't any need to worry.

My ds2 only reached 8kg at a year old (and is only 14 kg at 5 yo). He dropped 2 centiles as a baby and stayed there ever since. The paediatrician actually told me to stop seeing the HV if she was stressing me out.

It is somewhat irresponsible of the HV to tell you to fatten up a healthy baby imho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now