Talk

Advanced search

Chicken Pox. Oh My God.

(18 Posts)
Saski Tue 09-Apr-13 22:53:11

My poor 7 year old has what must be an extreme case, I think possibly because he's got pretty severe eczema. It's hideous, he has clusters all around his chest, neck & chin and his scalp is a mess.

Surely on the day that it's reached a feverish pitch - it's intolerable and your kids can't stop crying and can't get comfortable, surely it's better the next day?

He's had 5 or 6 emollient baths today, that's the only thing that seems to bring this poor kid any comfort. I want to cry, he's so miserable.

SizzleSazz Tue 09-Apr-13 22:55:02

Have you tried any anthistamine? - Piriton syrup gives some relief from the itching and nurofen/paracetamol for the temp?

Sorry to hear he is suffering, but hopefully the worst will pass soon

Saski Tue 09-Apr-13 22:59:17

Yes, pirotin/nurofen/paracetamol and a few topical things.
It's hell. The past 6 hours have been just horrible. He's inconsolable.

BikeRunSki Tue 09-Apr-13 23:01:32

Sounds like DD - she had infected eczema and hundreds of horrible CPs and was only 9 months old. She was really bad for 3 days, worst on middle day. High temp too.

redwellybluewelly Tue 09-Apr-13 23:03:51

Virasoothe? Oat baths?

I'm dreading DD getting it wth her eczema.

Hope he feels better very soon

Iatemyskinnyperson Tue 09-Apr-13 23:08:06

My DS2 had a really bad case. In the end I went to the GP, and he prescribed an anti-viral - liquid zovirax. He seemed to turn the corner once he was put on it, but that may have been co-incidence.

Keep an eye on him. I went to GP when I saw blisters on the inner rim of his eye. He also started gagging, so I think they were down his throat sad.

I feel your pain (or rather, your Ds's). That week was one of the worst of my life, he was so distressed...

Hope your DS gets better soon...

Saski Wed 10-Apr-13 09:02:55

Thanks guys - Iatemyskinnyperson - how long was it really bad for?

Redwelllybluewelly- if your kid has eczema, I'd put her on the anti-viral at the outset. I've missed the boat here because it has to be within 24 hours of the first blisters. My poor kid has molluscum contagium (sp?) as well so this confused the symptoms and I didn't realize he had chicken pox until probably day 2.

He was up until 4am last night itching & whimpering. He finally fell asleep and then woke up at 8am to be sick, poor child. Now back asleep again. This is the worst illness I've ever seen either of my kids through, with the possible exception of tonsillitis, but I think this is worse.

Lozario Wed 10-Apr-13 09:08:07

Saski I was told by my doctor friend that nurofen is not advised for chicken pox. This is also on the patient.co.uk website.

On the plus side - you may find that the molluscom clears up when the pox does - some people have reported that on here!

Hope he feels better soon.

Saski Wed 10-Apr-13 09:32:55

Blimey, I've seen two doctors and this is the first I've heard of the no nurofen thing - just googled it and yes you're correct!

I'll discontinue nurofen, thanks!

Good to hear the molluscom might clear up as well - this has been going on for months & although it's not really bothersome, he is becoming self-conscious about it.

Saski Fri 12-Apr-13 21:46:51

So, it was severe indeed - poor kiddo had to be hospitalized, and remains here (as do I) at Chelsea WM. It turns out that eczema and chicken pox are a REALLY REALLY bad combination. He's on IV anti-virals every 8 hours and he's contagious so he's confined to his room, which is so not fun.

He's in great shape - it seems strange to me that he's still here, he's not had a fever in probably 24 hours, but the doctors say he could deteriorate if we don't complete the 5 day course, so he has to stay til Monday. :-(

So, here's my PSA - if your kids have eczema, be super vigilant if they get chicken pox. I wish I had known this so I could have demanded a prophylactic anti-viral.

Jojay Fri 12-Apr-13 21:51:13

Wow, poor you and poor your DS! So glad he;s feeling a bit better now though.

My twins had it around their first birthday and itwas awful, esp for DTD. Both have eczema, but my God, she howled for days, it was the most awful week of my life, and hers too I expect. CP and eczema is a horrible combo - so glad you got the right treatment in the end.

almondfinger Fri 12-Apr-13 22:02:14

You poor woman, and poor ds. What a horrible dose. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Neither of my dd's have had CP yet, I didn't so am hoping we have immunity. dd1 has eczema, but under control.

It sounds like you have been living a nightmare the past couple of days.

redwellybluewelly Fri 12-Apr-13 22:05:36

Bloody Hell.

I'm pleased he is improving and I hope you are home soon. Thanks for coming back and updating as I will move quickly if DD gets it.

noviceoftheday Fri 12-Apr-13 22:09:47

Oh my goodness.your poor son. Hope he gets well soon.

Iatemyskinnyperson Fri 12-Apr-13 22:13:02

Sorry to hear your poor DS got so unwell. I think we were at day 4 when I went to GP. He had ongoing high fevers & blisters were continuing to appear. I knew he had CP as my ds1 had them just before, a very mild dose.

My DS2 has ASD, I know it's not proven but I do think his immune system is compromised somehow. He is 5 now, this was our best winter ever as he only had 3 antibiotics... Usually we almost run back-to-back through the winter.

Hope your DS continues to improve & that you'll both be home soon

Xx

SunflowersSmile Sat 13-Apr-13 07:35:59

Oh poor little soul. How horrible for both of you.
You know I do wonder in cases where children have severe eczema whether vaccine might be a good idea. I know not 100 per cent effective but at least child might get milder dose of chickenpox.
Sorry- not helpful to mention vaccine to you op but I bet you would have done almost anything to prevent your son going through this.
Hope you are both home soon and he is on the mend.

Oh poor DS, hope you are all being well looked after. Just been through CP here and it was a minor blip so I do feel for you.

Saski Sun 14-Apr-13 18:12:35

Thanks everyone - we were released yesterday late morning after THREE DAYS of him being confined to his hospital room.

When they finally said we could go, what was his reaction, you ask? Jubilation? Running up and down the corridor?

No. "Can I just finish this movie?". Sigh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now