Talk

Advanced search

How old for a sleepover?

(6 Posts)
MrscremeEgg Tue 09-Apr-13 18:47:40

With a school friend whose parents you don't know that well?

Dd aged 8 has been invited, wondering what the average age is for this sort of thing.

DoingItForMyself Tue 09-Apr-13 19:14:40

I'd let mine at that age but I'm a slack parent

DS is 8 and he's talking about a sleepover at a friend's. I know his mum but not particularly well. DD is 6 and very confident, so I'd be happy to let her stay with a parent SHE knew well, regardless of how well I know them, as to me that's the more important thing.

Even if it were my best friend, if I didn't think DD would be happy there I wouldn't send her, but she knows other mums better than I do from playing at their house and to me, if I trust them enough to let her go for a play & for dinner I don't see a difference in going to sleep there.

lljkk Tue 09-Apr-13 19:15:17

Never for DC (because they haven't been asked not because I made a rule).

My gut feeling in your situation is to try to get to know the parents better while making arrangements for the sleepover.

Plinkityplonk Tue 09-Apr-13 20:00:07

My ds1 is 8 and I'm not keen on the idea of sleepovers yet although I know a couple of his friends have started to have them. At this age I'd only consider it if I knew the parents well- he's quite shy & I don't think he would be comfortable just yet sleeping away from home. If the situation comes up & he really wanted to go I would consider it but as I mentioned before not if I didn't know the family reasonably well.

BlueChampagne Wed 10-Apr-13 13:10:21

Way back in the slack 70s I started sleepovers age 5 or 6, little sister in tow. With only one family to begin with, who we knew quite well.

Flyonthewindscreen Wed 10-Apr-13 14:13:25

My DD started the occasional sleepover at 7 but only with families I knew well. I would not be happy with my DC going to households I didn't know reasonably well at primary school age. I would be concerned that they would be unhappy about something or want to come home but not feel they knew the friend's parents well enough to speak to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now