Talk

Advanced search

Doing things differently with 2nd child, did you?

(6 Posts)
nananaps Tue 09-Apr-13 13:49:39

What was i thinking? When i think back at the things i did with my pfb i cringe.
9 years on, i now have a 12 weeks old baby and life is SO much differnt its an absolute eye opener. I am SO much more laid back, so much more relaxed about stuff, dont see the point in stressing about stuff.

I am asking family for babysitting duties, something i would never consider with my ds, i didnt go out anywhere till he was at school. Couldnt bear to bother anyone and leave him.

No sireee, this time im doing things differently, not puposefully either, just naturally interestingly!

What about you, how different did you play things with number 2?

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 09-Apr-13 13:54:53

Much more into routine this time. But I'm also more laid back generally.

And i don't agonise over whether being left to cry for a few minutes while i get things done will permanently damage her. God, that was hard work!

Oh, and have given up ebf earlier and am cool with that.

Basically, i don't beat myself up for not being perfect.

nananaps Tue 09-Apr-13 14:01:25

I absolutely agree about the not being perfect and letting them cry!
Hearing the baby cry doesnt cause my anxiety levels to shoot through the roof like it did with my son.

Its very liberating isnt it!

MiaowTheCat Wed 10-Apr-13 12:37:47

Giving less of a shit about the rest of the world (including the residents of AIBU who'd call social services for a child being out without a hat on) thinks is the main one.

Notsoyummymummy1 Wed 10-Apr-13 23:48:25

This might make you laugh, it's been doing the rounds on Facebook:

THE BIRTH ORDER OF CHILDREN . . .

---------------------------------------------------

Your Clothes:
1st baby: You begin wearing maternity clothes as soon as your OB/GYN confirms your pregnancy.

2nd baby: You wear your regular clothes for as long as possible.

3rd baby: Your m aternity clothes ARE your regular clothes.

Preparing for the Birth:

1st baby: You practice your breathing religiously.

2nd baby: You don't bother because you remember that last time, breathing didn't do a thing.

3rd baby: You ask for an epidural in your eighth month.

The Layette:

1st baby: You pre-wash newborn's clothes, color-coordinate them, and fold them neatly in the baby's little bureau.

2nd baby: You check to make sure that the clothes are clean and discard only the ones with the darkest stains.

3rd baby: Boys can wear pink, can't they?

Worries:

1st baby: At the first sign of distress-a whimper, a frown-you pick up the baby.

2nd baby: You pick the baby up when her wails threaten to wake your firstborn.

3rd baby: You teach your three-year-old how to rewind the mechanical swing.

Pacifier:

1st baby: If the pacifier falls on the floor, you put it away until you can go home and wash and boil it.

2nd baby: When the pacifier falls on the floor, you squirt it off with some juice from the baby's bottle.

3rd baby: You wipe it off on your shirt and pop it back in.

Diapering:

1st baby: You change your baby's diapers every hour, whether they need it or not.

2nd baby: You change their diaper every two to three hours, if needed.

3rd baby: You try to change their diaper before others start to complain about the smell or you see it sagging to their knees.

Activities:

1st baby: You take your infant to Baby Gymnastics, Baby Swing, and Baby Story Hour.

2nd baby: You take your infant to Baby Gymnastics.

3rd baby: You take your infant to the supermarket and the dry cleaner.

Going Out:

1st baby: The first time you leave your baby with a sitter, you call home five times.

2nd baby: Just before you walk out the door, you remember to leave a number where you can be reached.

3rd baby: You leave instructions for the sitter to call only if she sees blood.

At Home:

1st baby: You spend a good bit of every day just gazing at the baby.

2nd baby: You spend a bit of everyday watching to be sure your older child isn't squeezing, poking, or hitting the baby.

3rd baby: You spend a little bit of every day hiding from the children.

Swallowing Coins (a favorite):

1st child: When first child swallows a coin, you rush the child to the hospital and demand x-rays.

2nd child: When second child swallows a coin, you carefully watch for the coin to pass.

3rd child: When third child swallows a coin you deduct it from his allowance!!

nananaps Thu 11-Apr-13 18:10:13

LOVE that, fantastic grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now