Talk

Advanced search

WWYD is it worth the risk

(6 Posts)
Eachpeachpearwherestheplum Mon 08-Apr-13 22:12:06

DS is in Yr in a school we have concerns about.
There is quite a list of concerns and so we went on the waiting list for an outstanding school out of catchment. We have now been offered a place.
I know it is a much better school in terms of teaching and resources....BUT should I take the risk of not getting his younger brother in? Numbers are growing year on year and although siblings have always got in up till now,last year the neighbouring school didn't get all its catchment children in which will have an effect on our chosen school.

WWYD?? In a worse case senerio what would be my options?

Hassled Mon 08-Apr-13 22:15:40

I'd take the chance and go with the school you feel better about, i.e. move.

And worst case scenario and the sibling doesn't get in - well, the (presumably catchment?) school you currently have concerns about may have turned itself around - it may be very different. How much younger is your DS2?

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Mon 08-Apr-13 22:16:17

Are you in catchment? And how close are you?

If sibling doesn't get a LA ce you should be at the top of the list to get in if one becomes available.

This was my worry with ds4 and I have to go through it again in a few yes with dd.

I decided tho tho for it and if little one didn't get in I would home end until a place came up. The catchment oif the school ius quite fluid as its linked to a uni and people move in and out if the area.

Maybe find out how often places come up

You can find out from the Lea the distance of the person with the furthest distance away from the school who got in to give you an idea in comparison to where you live iytswim?

Eachpeachpearwherestheplum Mon 08-Apr-13 22:25:38

DS2 is 3, so we would apply soon....dec?? We are only about 1 half miles, but the catchement goes the other way sadly. I could home ed, I work part time but could make something work for a while, or perhaps he could stay in nursery an extra term??? Not ideal I know.
I also worry about the effect on him moving. Do you think children cope better than we think?

mummy2benji Tue 09-Apr-13 17:07:35

Where do you live? In my area, having a sibling in the school gives you higher priority for a place for your next child than another family who lives in the catchment area but doesn't have a sibling there. It has caused some disgruntled parents who couldn't get their child into their local school when a child from out of area got in because they had a sibling there. I would go for it if I were you.

MsDeerheart Tue 09-Apr-13 21:06:55

I'd move him - as people said siblings normally get in - and although its a nuisance to have two children in difference schools it can be worked round

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now