Talk

Advanced search

finger and fist sucking 3 month old

(10 Posts)
zannii Mon 08-Apr-13 17:13:05

I had my daughter 3 months ago and I new before I had her I didn't want to give her a dummy, i never had one and neither did my sisters.

She is a really good baby and i don't feel she needs one, from day one she has sucked on her fingers and fist, its like she new she wasn't going to get a dummy so had to find something suck lol.

I got told the other day that constant finger sucking can cause deformities to there fingers and hands, i just want to know if there is any truth in this, and if its very common and whether anyone's children now have problems from finger sucking as a baby?

I googled pros and cons of dummies and its every parents personal preference whether they give there baby one or not, there are obviously pros and cons for both.

ZuleikaD Mon 08-Apr-13 17:31:11

Leave her to it - she's learning to self-soothe.

Wishiwasanheiress Mon 08-Apr-13 17:33:02

No issues with it or to teeth in my two dds. U will hear lots of stuff. Go with gut, babies been sucking on hands thru history, probs piece sponsored by dummy producer?

zannii Mon 08-Apr-13 18:27:40

It was my partner that said it cos apparently he knows someones daughter who now has a deformed finger because of constantly sucking it, but it is obviously the minority as me and my 2 sisters R fine, but he still agreed she doesnt need one.

I do constantly get asked from lots of people though, does she not have a dummy, like I am doing something wrong not giving her one, but im not going to give in, like you said babies having been sucking on there hands since forever, what do people think they did before they were invented!

wigglesrock Mon 08-Apr-13 18:52:55

My dd1 sucked two of her fingers from the minute she was born. She used it to self soothe, and continued to do it when she was very tired. She is almost 8 (where did that time go shock ?) and her fingers and teeth are fine.

She did it less and less as she got older.

zannii Mon 08-Apr-13 19:14:22

mine did it minute she was born as well, she's happy when she's doing it, and its not 24/7

wigglesrock Mon 08-Apr-13 19:16:06

It's strange, neither of my 2 younger daughters did it at all smile

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Mon 08-Apr-13 19:18:28

My DS2 has a dummy to sleep but spits it out pretty often he is really not interested. Prefers his fingers / hand / fist. At some point all babies do it, its a developmental thing IIRC for hand eye co ordination.

MUMMYDUDE Sat 13-Apr-13 23:17:17

Both of mine were 'suckers'. Because I had a friend that had sucked her thumb from an early age and had problems with her teeth, I didn't want the same to happen. It was a hard decision but I opted for the dummy route. Yes, they became obsessed with it, once they'd finally mastered the art of keeping it in their mouths but both of them gave it up on their 4th birthdays (I have to point out at this stage that they were only allowed it at bedtime, not every hour of the day). About 3 months before the 4th birthday date we kept saying how exciting it was that they were going to be 4 and that they would be big then and so wouldn't need a dummy. We almost had a countdown going on to the big day. On the morning of my son's 4th birthday, he came downstairs, walked passed us and put his dummy in the bin. He said "I don't need that any more, I'm a big boy". He never asked for it again. Virtually the same happened with my daughter when she was 4. My son is now 12 and my daughter 8 and both have nice straight teeth.

KnackeredCow Sun 14-Apr-13 06:01:48

I was a finger sucker as a child and unfortunately didn't give it up till I was 12 hmm. And that was really hard to do. Sadly, this means the two fingers that I sucked on my left hand are deformed - it's not particularly noticeable unless you look closely at them, but I've always wished my parents has given me a dummy. I didn't really want to give my DTs dummies, but for this reason I do choose to do so at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now