Talk

Advanced search

5 month old eating every 2 hours!

(6 Posts)
Gretie24 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:30:13

My Lo is coming up to 5 months old, he is ebf, he feeds every 2 hours during the day and will only nurse for a couple of minutes at a time.
I expressed some milk today and on his last feed fed it to him to see how much he would take, he only took just under 3oz. is there any way I can get him to take more so he goes longer between feeds? I don't like breastfeeding in public so it's incredibly difficult to go out during the day, I have to make sure I'm back home by the next time he needs feeding.
A friend told me I should move onto formula during the day as it takes longer to digest and I will have longer between feeds and still breastfeed at night or when I'm not going out. I don't really like the idea of this as I love the fact that I have been lucky enough to breastfeed and think it would mess with my supply. Anyone know of any ways of getting him to take more, or any one had any luck introducing formula and still breastfeeding? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thumbtack Mon 08-Apr-13 13:35:50

Mine is nearly 6mo and also the same, he would feed every hour if he could, I've found that some shopping centres have a bf cubicle near the toilets for those of us who don't like doing it in public. I must say now mine is nearing 6mo I've become a little less anxious about whether he is hungry, so maybe it just gets easier to extend the amount of time in between feeding. Sorry I've not helped much!

Thumbtack Mon 08-Apr-13 13:37:49

Also they say to start with swapping one feed a day with formula, such as the lunchtime one, my problem is mine refuses a bottle! Good luck!

Thumbtack Mon 08-Apr-13 13:40:06

Sorry about this. . One other thing is that when mine has occasionally taken a little bit from a bottle, yes it filled him for longer but he was really constipated from it.

My last post I promise!

noblegiraffe Mon 08-Apr-13 13:46:38

Mine fed every 2 hours until he started eating a reasonable amount of solids at 7 months.

If I tried to get more milk into him, he would vomit it all back up, sometimes they can't take more than little and often.

Gretie24 Mon 08-Apr-13 13:55:42

Thanks for the replies, think we'll just have to ride it out, it won't last forever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now