Talk

Advanced search

5 month old eating every 2 hours!

(12 Posts)
Gretie24 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:30:01

My Lo is coming up to 5 months old, he is ebf, he feeds every 2 hours during the day and will only nurse for a couple of minutes at a time.
I expressed some milk today and on his last feed fed it to him to see how much he would take, he only took just under 3oz. is there any way I can get him to take more so he goes longer between feeds? I don't like breastfeeding in public so it's incredibly difficult to go out during the day, I have to make sure I'm back home by the next time he needs feeding.
A friend told me I should move onto formula during the day as it takes longer to digest and I will have longer between feeds and still breastfeed at night or when I'm not going out. I don't really like the idea of this as I love the fact that I have been lucky enough to breastfeed and think it would mess with my supply. Anyone know of any ways of getting him to take more, or any one had any luck introducing formula and still breastfeeding? Any help would be much appreieciated.

Whatalotofpiffle Mon 08-Apr-13 13:35:56

My dd was every 2.25 hrs until 9 months I think and I did not publicly breast feed so was tricky. She was also a 5 min feeder.

In the end dh got tinted windows in the car for me

Whatalotofpiffle Mon 08-Apr-13 13:36:43

Got through it though, still bf at 2.3 yrs smile

Whatalotofpiffle Mon 08-Apr-13 13:38:48

Oh and I think comparing formula volume to breast milk is a mistake. Babies take far less with equivalent nutritional value.

If you want to feed formula give it a go but even if he drinks double it won't guarantee longer gaps, although feeding while out will be possible

FrauMoose Mon 08-Apr-13 13:44:18

Are there some places where you would feel less uncomfortable breast feeding? Spring is on its way. It would be good for your baby - and you - to have a change of scene.

Gretie24 Mon 08-Apr-13 13:58:26

I think I'll give formula a miss and just ride it out. Tinted windows is a fab idea, i'll look into that then if we go for day trips as the weather gets nicer I dont have to go home. Thanks for the replies.

Fairylea Mon 08-Apr-13 14:01:23

I doubt formula would make a difference... both mine were formula fed and both wanted feeding every 2 hours! I think some babies are just guzzlers!

As a side note, please don't feel embarrassed or paranoid about feeding in public. As I said I'm a formula feeder but I and most other people wouldn't even register if you were breastfeeding let alone have an opinion on it.

FrauMoose Mon 08-Apr-13 14:08:00

If your baby is crying persistently because of hunger everybody looks round - and may feel vaguely irritated.

If you stuff a baby under your jumper to feed, it is unlikely anyone will notice.

Also I think so many children do horrendously embarrassing conspicuous things as they get older, there's an argument for overcoming feelings of social awkwardness as quickly as possible. You definitely can't imprison a toddler just because s/he might attract attention in public...

Florin Mon 08-Apr-13 14:12:14

My formula fed baby fed every 2 hours until about 6 months (went through the night though) I started very slowly to stretch it to 2.5 hours. It got better when he started to wean and very quickly he was only on three feeds a day. I know formula is different but most of my breatfeeding friends found the same. You are nearly there at weaning so hopefully that will help very soon.

Fairylea Mon 08-Apr-13 14:13:56

Frau that is so true.

My ds is now 10 months and has perfected the art of loudly banging on the table whenever we go out for food (I'm trying to stop him) whilst shouting "eeeeeeeeeee" at the top of his voice at the same time.

Parenting only becomes more embarrassing as they get older.

Dd now aged 10 once completely mortified me waiting in a queue when she was in her buggy about 2 years old sniggering at the man in front saying "too fat mummy, too fat". I was.looking for the hole in the floor.

mamacoffee Mon 08-Apr-13 22:06:51

I have a bebe au lait nursing cover, worth looking into. Many ppl on here say they draw more attention but NOT if you get the plain black or white.

Otherwise , your dc is 5m, in about a month you will introduce solids, and then they will go longer without a bf (hopefully)

Whatalotofpiffle Mon 08-Apr-13 23:14:56

Glad you like the tinted window idea! It makes our estate look great too and I always used to pop back to the car park when out in town. Think people wondered why there was a pram abandoned outside a car though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now