Talk

Advanced search

Moses basket mattress

(11 Posts)
LittleMonster100 Sun 07-Apr-13 13:11:28

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but do you need a new mattress for the Moses if a second baby will be using it? Is it part of SIDS guild lines?

NeedlesCuties Sun 07-Apr-13 21:13:24

Yes to both questions, as far as I know.

They aren't that expensive, got mine in Mothercare, but can't recall what price.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 08-Apr-13 08:18:23

was it your own child that used the mattress before and do you know the history of the mattress (pee/puke, etc) and can the mattress be cleaned? I re-used the cot mattress I had for dd and ds as it had a removable washable cover and the mattress itself was waterproof and could be cleaned.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 08-Apr-13 08:19:25

from sids website:

It is very important that your baby’s mattress is kept clean and dry. Ideally you should buy a new mattress for each new baby. If you are not able to do this, use the one you have, as long as it was made with a completely waterproof cover and has no tears, cracks or holes. Clean and dry it thoroughly. Check that the mattress is in good condition; is flat and firm, not soft; fits the cot without any gaps; and doesn’t sag.

LittleMonster100 Mon 08-Apr-13 13:29:04

needles yes it was my eldest child's moses...I don't mind buyinga new mattrress but can't seem to find the motehrcare snug matress to buy sperately.

thank you all.

NeedlesCuties Mon 08-Apr-13 18:28:00

I think you'd be okay with it, as you know its history. If it's clean, good condition etc.

Is just up to you whether you're comfortable with it or not.

YBR Mon 08-Apr-13 19:45:41

I researched this a bit when I was getting stuff for my DD. There is a barely significant statistical correlation between SIDS and re-using mattresses; not smoking, sleeping on their back, feet to foot and that sort of thing are all much more significant. Nor is there any known mechanism linking 2nd-hand mattresses to SIDS. It seems to me, therefore, that the link is indirect e.g. mattresses are more likely to be re-used where there are social deprivation factors, which are the actual causes.

I will be happily cleaning and re-using both moses basket and cot mattresses with DC2, since they're still in good condition.

Having said that we all have to make our own decisions about all these things, so if you are going to be uncomfortable with re-using your mattress, don't.

rcs19 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:54:49

If it's a standard sized Moses basket, Argos sell mattresses for about £8.

LittleMonster100 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:32:39

Thank you all, I guess I'm not really comfortable reusing the mattress if there's even the remotest link to SIDS, it's a shame as it looks like I'll have to buy a new Moses even though this one is almost band new. I just can't find the mattress separately it's the mothercare snug so an odd shape.

NeedlesCuties Mon 08-Apr-13 20:53:23

OP, does your baby even have to go into a Moses Basket? Could he/she not go straight into a crib or cot from birth?

My 2nd born was so long at birth (58cm!) that she was only in the Moses for about 3 months.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 08-Apr-13 21:34:02

you can buy custom made mattresses online fairly cheaply e.g.

babymattressesonline.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now