Talk

Advanced search

Responsible adult/parent stuff - what's your list?

(4 Posts)
habbibu Thu 04-Apr-13 21:39:00

Finally had fire safety check from Fire Service today, which left me feeling bad that I hadn't thought it through enough before. We weren't doing anything particularly risky or irresponsible, but still, dcs depend on us having plans. Other things we've done which I feel are similarly important are:

Make a will
Arrange who would be dcs guardians in case of both our deaths
Get good life insurance in place

Next I need to do a refresher first aid course. Anything else along these lines?

attheendoftheday Thu 04-Apr-13 23:20:35

We need to increase our life insurance. I sat down and worked out the cost of childcare for our 2 dc that would be needed if one of us died and we need our life insurance to cover this as well as paying off the mortgage - the surviving parent could manage the other bills, I think.

Also on our list is sorting a pension for self-employed dp (i have one already).

Parenthood is so glamorous!

QTPie Thu 04-Apr-13 23:40:08

Start thinking about the cost of possible university education and maybe putting something aside for that?

habbibu Fri 05-Apr-13 09:12:23

Hmm. That would have to wait until I'm working again, though we do save for them regularly atm. Might have to persuade them to stay in Scotland!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now