Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What did you do with all your baby stuff... ??

(24 Posts)
mumtosp Thu 04-Apr-13 11:26:08

Hi all,

My DS us 6 mo and till now I have kept everything that we ever bought for him. This isn't an ideal situation as we are already struggling with storage space. We are looking for a new house with more space, but DH doesn't see the point in packing and moving with DS's unwanted stuff.
Also, DH is not sure he wants more DC whereas I am very keen on more DC but not for another 2 years.

So my question is, is it worth keeping everything for 2 years with the hope of having more DC?? Did you keep all your baby stuff ?? Or did u keep some and buy the rest again ?? We have things like moses basket and baby bath which he hardly ever used and grew out of very soon i definitely want to keep some for memory but not sure about the rest....

Thanks! smile

Pancakeflipper Thu 04-Apr-13 11:29:34

We kept stuff ( not the baby bath though - we gave that away and never had one for DS2). Have you got any relatives with spare garage/loft space if you are lacking room.

I still have some babygros and tops that I cannot part with.

mybelovedmonster Thu 04-Apr-13 11:33:11

Get rid of anything that's big and bulky and easy to replace.

Keep some of the nicer clothes and bits and pieces like that, but you might have to be quite ruthless. The first 6 months worth of stuff takes up quite a small amount of space - it only gets worse :p

Cies Thu 04-Apr-13 11:36:16

Between dc1 and 2 I kept everything . Now I'm trying to get rid. I'm not sentimental about any of it though so tat makes it easier . Passed on to friends or given to the Church .

stargirl1701 Thu 04-Apr-13 11:38:09

DD is 6 months. I am planning to sell everything that we didn't like in the summer at a nearly new sale. I'm keeping all the unisex stuff we liked and anything that was special.

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Thu 04-Apr-13 12:46:55

Gave everything away, literally everything. DH then suddenly decided he would like another. 38+6 with dc2 and wish we hadn't given it away. It may all be little stuff but it adds up and it would be nice for dc1 and dc2 to have had some of he same things.

Do your or his parents have a loft you could make use of?

wigglesrock Thu 04-Apr-13 15:28:18

I kept some stuff between dd1 and dd2 - carseats, buggy, Moses basket, cot were all reused. I kept very little clothes - they all went to Womens Aid. I kept very little between dd2 and dd3, nothing I can think of. Dd2 was shall we say, harder on stuff and there was a bigger age gap.

mumtosp Thu 04-Apr-13 18:10:29

Thanks all !
Both sets of grandparents live outside the country... So storing at their place is not an option. Having said that, I did leave behind loads of smaller clothes the last time I visited my parents... Asked my mum to get it all the next time I'm pregnant smile Lets hope they don't have to pay extra for the luggage hmm

I guess I will just have to go through the lot and be ruthless and not get all sentimental over tiny vests and sleepsuits sad

Can someone suggest a good place to sell things like moses basket, bath... And also some charities that will take the clothes ...

Thanks again... smile

Misty9 Thu 04-Apr-13 23:08:27

Kept all clothes so far (though lent to two friends so far, so might not be much cop for our second at this rate!) and most equipment (didn't have baby bath or Moses basket though).

Tbh, I don't think you'll get much for bath etc so you could use freecycle to know its gone to a good home? Or charity shops. Women's aid take clothes I think, can also sell clothing bundles on eBay (bear in mind postage costs for Royal Mail have just rocketed though).

HTH

Flojobunny Thu 04-Apr-13 23:11:26

Get rid of all the daft impulse buys that u realised u never needed.
Keep all the key items.
Get rid of all the clothes that u realised he never wore.
Keep the nice baby gros that are unisex, and those favourite little outfits and get rid of the rest.
U will want new anyway.

MiaowTheCat Fri 05-Apr-13 20:39:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Runningblue Sat 06-Apr-13 20:14:13

Dont be too hasty ditching stuff, we have saved so much money this time having all the equipment we saved from ds1. Its been so satisfying having things in stock eg little sheets, crib etc than having to buy everything all over again.
We now have a daughter so I've gone through all the clothes we've saved from ds, and kept any unisex ones, the rest have been gifted to pregnant friends.

If you buy a few plastic stacking crates, and pack them neatly, you can get a lot of baby bits in a small space. We've got a boarded out loft so they all went up there.

Indith Sat 06-Apr-13 20:25:51

I kept everything and have reused it all. 2 years between dcs 1 and 2 and then 3 years til dc3 so stored it for a fair while! Worth it though, all the crap costs a fortune really. Cots can be taken apart and slipped behind wardrobes, vac packs get clothes nice and small. Just be a bit ruthless and only keep stuff you know you will use so chuck out presents you only dressed the baby in once for politeness because you hate them and throw out stuff with lots of weaning stains on. Get rid of moses basket as if you need one again you can pick them up for £10 second hand. Ditto baby bath since if you have another you can stick it in the bath with the older one.

Must admit I'm enjoying getting rid of everything now though!

CreatureRetorts Sat 06-Apr-13 20:28:34

You're only 6 months in. Can you be creative in your storage eg we used the Moses basket to hold DS's toys. Clothes - you never need as much as you think, I had way too many for my PFB!
6 months in I couldn't face another baby as ds was a terrible sleeper. But we did have another.

bonzo77 Sat 06-Apr-13 20:35:38

Kept the lot. It's coming out now for DS2. And going back into storage for the next one! Saved a fortune.

BeaWheesht Sat 06-Apr-13 20:41:16

Kept stuff between kids but now I'm finished having babies hmm I gave our travel system to women's aid, donated load of clothes to charity, put the zillions of baby grows etc in at cash for clothes, sold the toys / bouncy chairs / bouncer etc.

lagoonhaze Sat 06-Apr-13 20:49:09

Im on DC2 - different sexes. I had alot of unisex stuff for DS and its been lovely to see my DD wear it. Also the toys and baby equipment.

I did need to get a new cot and car seat as sold as hated them but it was so nice not to have to spend out on big items.

Im now in the process of selling DDs clothes and have sorted through most of DS. Some will stay for any DC3 (i live in hope as DP says no).

AugustaProdworthy Sat 06-Apr-13 20:51:32

I've been looking at Freecycle to see how to donate our stuff and we just to make sure it is useful to someone else. No idea if Freecycle works though, just googled it because someone suggested it..any tried it?

sjupes Sat 06-Apr-13 20:59:33

I kept dds pram and moses basket ubtil she was almost 4 then finally gave them away thinking a dc2 was unlikely. plus i kept all most of her clothes but they were all next, gap h& m etc so naice clothes grin

When ds turned up we bought everything new for him then at 5 months old we moved 350 miles back to our hone town and i sold on ds toys etc and gave the bags of dcs clothes to the local childrens centre (poverty ridden area)

Around ds 1st birthday we fell with dd2. Not best pleased!

sjupes Sat 06-Apr-13 21:01:18

Christ my typos are ridiculous and thats after checking twice blush

ReadyToRumble Sat 06-Apr-13 21:02:04

My dd is 11 months and all I have saved is her big pram. I sold a few of her baby clothes on ebay, branded ones like next etc. I gave some to family and all the rest went to charity shops.

Play groups are very grateful for toys etc, they were happy to receive dd's bumbo, playgym and some toys she had grown out of smile

lagoonhaze Sat 06-Apr-13 21:37:41

Augusta I find freecycle a bit vulture like and overrun with people who snap up everything to sell on.

Maybe do a FB status/ ask HV/Church group?

Startail Sat 06-Apr-13 21:50:53

A lot of mine was borrowed. I returned it, borrowed it again and then returned it again with total delight when DFs last frozen embryo became her DD2.

She got lots if my stuff too as a thank you. After that some went to friends, some to NCT sales and some to the bin, especially larger baby grows that had been crawled in. The feet had had it.

DD2 still has my fav. two baby grows in her dolls draw.

Cot went to charity after a stint at an older friends, who's grandchildren had it for naps.

High chair went to the tip, DD1 broke it climbing it. (Yes the DD who climbed everything). Buggy is somewhere in the back of the garage as th DDs played with it for years.

CheeseAndMushroomToastie Sat 06-Apr-13 21:54:07

Kept everything, apart from some bibs from the weaning stage which were never going to be immaculate again. Big stuff such as Moses basket, car seat, steriliser, etc went into the loft. Baby clothes were placed into vacuum storage bags and again went into the loft. We knew that we would have another one though in a couple of years or so.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: