Talk

Advanced search

Introvert parent, extrovert child

(9 Posts)
orangeandlemons Wed 03-Apr-13 20:49:34

I. Want. To. Lie. In. A. Sensory. Deprivation. Tank....for about 6 weeks.

How do other introverts deal with this? I am not the shy type of introvert, but I need a lot of download time to recharge. Otherwise I start to lose it. Last night dd was up until 9.00pm. I have had her all day. No near relatives. All friends away. I am wiped out. Absolutely. She is so lively, talkative and bouncy. Wants attention and interaction all the time. I have to have some recharge time otherwise I start to crack up.

UnbridledPositivity Wed 03-Apr-13 20:52:37

Sympathies! Same situation here. Plus DD is not really happy to play by herself for more than 5 minutes.
She's lovely, don't get me wrong, I just wish I had some of her energy.

orangeandlemons Wed 03-Apr-13 20:55:36

Mine's lovely too, but she will not play by herself. I find myself becoming more and more bad tempered as the day goes on. By about 300pm I'm finished, by 600pm when dh comes home I'm fit to be tied.

FariesDoExist Fri 05-Apr-13 12:46:18

How old is your dd? You have my sympathy, it's very hard isn't it, when you want to switch off. DD1 is of the "I will speak every single thought that comes into my head" variety, she rarely stops for breath. She cannot play alone. She loves reading though so she does get stuck into a good book and then I get some peace (until she decides to tell me the entire story in depth).

orangeandlemons Fri 05-Apr-13 13:11:04

She,s 6 nearly 7. She will read, but she just wants to interact all the time! Bless her, she's just a people person and I'm not!

matana Fri 05-Apr-13 14:32:06

Not sure whether it's too soon to label DS, but he certainly seems, at 2.5yo, very much an extravert. Everyone loves him and he just adores being with other people and gets hugely energised by them. On car journeys the only time he shuts up is when he's asleep.

I too am an introvert (not hugely pronounced) but do need time out alone if i've been talking to other people a lot all day.

So what i do is hand DS over to DH... who is also an extravert! They drive each other insane grin

orangeandlemons Fri 05-Apr-13 14:35:03

But my dh is an introvert too!

matana Fri 05-Apr-13 14:59:56

Are you sure she is yours and DH's??!! grin

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 05-Apr-13 18:45:44

DH and I are both classic introverts and DD (3.7) has seemed to be the exac opposite from the moment she was born. We long for silence at the end of the day. It's interesting to hear the stories above of how others of you are exhausted by it. Makes me feel less awful.

Baby DS is 9 months. His personality already seems different to his sister's <hopeful>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now