Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal? RE bottlefeeding.

(7 Posts)
ToupOfRegDwight Wed 03-Apr-13 09:47:35

My daughter is 19 weeks old. She sleeps 7PM-5.30AM. She has a feed when she wakes up then goes back down until 9.

She takes between 6-8oz every four hours so is only getting 4 feeds a day, the formula tub say she should be having 5.

Should I introduce a dream feed? I have her weighed monthly but she has only dropped the 5th feed recently.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Wed 03-Apr-13 09:49:36

If she doesn't need it then why introduce it? Especially as she is sleeping so well! Sounds like you are doing a great job. I can't remember what my LO was doing at that age but it sounds about right!

ToupOfRegDwight Wed 03-Apr-13 10:05:57

I seem to doubt myself a lot being a first time mum. She's a happy baby so I reckon I need to relax about guidelines!

MrsB74 Wed 03-Apr-13 10:11:57

I think it all sounds about right. My girls are now nearly four so I can't remember how much milk they had at that age, but I do know one drank more than the other and they are both fine! I do have a vague memory of thinking they weren't having as much as the tin suggested. Guidelines are just that, not all babies will follow them! As long as her weight is good, don't worry, she'll let you know if she's hungry x

VioletShmiolet Wed 03-Apr-13 10:26:22

My DD is 21 weeks and is taking 5 feeds of 4-5 oz in a day so your DD sounds great, especially as she's sleeping thought the night! I wouldn't worry as long as she keeps gaining weight.

I'm also a first time mum and I doubt myself all the time but I've learnt to just follow my instincts and if baby is happy then you're doing something right!

FWIW I tried introducing a dream feed but she flat out refused it and it just disturbed her sleep but maybe my DD is in the minority.

Phineyj Wed 03-Apr-13 10:27:59

Sounds great to me. We're all individuals and the baby can't read the side of the tin yet!

Vespar7 Thu 04-Apr-13 06:49:54

In Switzerland the packet recommends 4 feed per day while the same brand in England recommends the 5 for the same age/weight. I guess it is just a recommendation. You could check with your HV the next time you can but wouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now