Talk

Advanced search

2.5 yr old DD screaming- I am at my wits end! All suggestions welcome!

(4 Posts)
AnnaFender Sat 30-Mar-13 15:24:19

I have been prompted to start this thread after reading another one involving noisy toddlers. I have two DDs, 5.5 and 2.5 yrs. The youngest has a horrible high pitched scream that she does pretty much constantly.

We have recently moved into a flat after separating from STBXH. All the other tenants are young professional types, no other young children in the building (old large house converted into 8 flats). DDs wake up everyday around 6:30 and the screaming from DD2 starts around then as well. Every day. It must be driving my neighbours up the wall (although nobody has directly complained-yet).

The screaming is mostly caused by bickering with DD1. I have tried to use naughty corner, removing toys if they aren't playing nicely and obviously distracting with activities and going out. But when we are home, the screaming seems constant. Is this something she will grow out of? Or what can I do to stop her? Help please!

TreeLuLa Sat 30-Mar-13 15:42:47

123 Magic worked wonders for us. You can 'count' her for screaming.

Best of luck!

quickchat Sat 30-Mar-13 16:41:25

Hi, I feel your pain although mine is definitely improving. I have a 5.5 yr old DS, a 3 yr old DD and to add to the fun, a 7 month old DS. My DD is a screamer, shouter and cry-at-the-drop-of-a-hat -er! She has done it since 18 months and has recently calmed a little.

When she was screaming all day and I was at my wits end I had to warn her she would be put to her room if we had to endure her screaming any longer. She would scream - of course - and Id lift her and put her in her room "until she could learn to speak and not scream".

She absolutely hates it but it's removing her from the situation and the attention the screaming gives her, albeit negative attention and it calms her down. I just have to warn her again and she stops.

I sometimes warn her too often though without doing it and that is a big mistake!

She is, as I say, improving with age but it's still bad. She now spends half her day screaming instead of all of it!

My two bicker alot too and that is why she does it. I think my 5.5 yr old DS is and has been bossy with her and this is her retaliation.
Probably the same with your two the same age.
Did your older DD scream too? I just wondered if it was more of a girl thing as DS never screamed unless he had genuinely hurt himself.
This is me just praying it is a girl thing as I don't want to go through all of this again with 7 month old DS!

AnnaFender Sat 30-Mar-13 21:33:07

Thanks for replies. I think maybe I'm just going to have to get tougher. It's good to hear your DD is getting better at 3 quickchat, but can't help with whether it's a girl thing as older DD never did it! DD2 has been more challenging than DD1 in almost every area so far though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now