Talk

Advanced search

Co-sleeping: bed position question

(13 Posts)
CityDweller Fri 29-Mar-13 12:05:12

I'm interested in potentially co-sleeping w/ soon-to-arrive first baby. I've read up and seen lots about safety and bedding, etc, but nothing about the position of the bed and am still feeling a bit clueless about the specifics. In particular - does my side of the bed have to be pushed against a wall? Ours is in middle of room, and it isn't possible to push it up against a wall. Does that rule out co-sleeping?

TheDegglyDonkey Fri 29-Mar-13 14:14:55

We took the side off a cot and wedged it next to our bed so it was like a side-car arrangement.

Hemlet Fri 29-Mar-13 20:50:40

I Co sleep with my 2 week old, bed in the middle of the room too. I just curl up around him as he feeds on my side with him facing me, making sure there is a good space between him and the edge of the bed. Works a treat but obviously never to be done if you or your partner is under the influence of any drug or alcohol or are really super tired.

rachi1990xx Fri 29-Mar-13 20:56:09

We co-slept wiv baby in middle of bed but we moved over n he had loads of space ! Now have no prob with him sleeping in cot as hes used to the space x shouldn't put bed against wall as baby cud get stuck x

AliceWChild Fri 29-Mar-13 21:19:24

I have a co-sleeper which is essentially a very expensive bed guard. Tbh he has never moved to the extent he'd ever fall if it wasn't there, but the security is good. Works brilliantly

DaveMccave Sat 30-Mar-13 00:00:41

We were going to make a cosleeper out of a cot bed, I found this tutorial:

http://fromheretomaternityeventually.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/how-we-converted-out-cot-into-a-co-sleeper/

Instead, we've got a super king off Ebay (lots go cheap on there!) which I was advised is the best option if you have it.

Purplecatti Sun 31-Mar-13 19:41:42

We have a super king size bed and put baby in the middle with our pillows far at either side . I was terrified at first but she was quite happy and liked waking to see our faces

sparklekitty Mon 01-Apr-13 11:29:17

We have rented a side car crib from NCT and although she doesnt actually sleep in it atm it acts as a guard. I alternate depending on which side she has fed from, I move her from the middle to the side.

Not sure about bed against the wall, I don't think I'd have been comfortable with that. You could get some bed guards things.

We also have a king size bed, def helps.

HappyAsASandboy Mon 01-Apr-13 12:10:56

If you have space, I would take the side off a cot, adjust the cot base to make the mattresses level and tie the cot to the bed/wedge cot between bed and wall.

If you don't have space, I'd get a bedrail. I like the lindam ones.

I have done both of these methods with different aged babies. The bedrails are invaluable for visiting other houses too, just put it on and you and baby are sorted smile

CityDweller Mon 01-Apr-13 14:17:00

Thanks for the tips. There's not space for a cot alongside bed, but we do have a king size and I have looked at those co-sleeper cots you can rent from nct. But, part of my interest in co-sleeping is that it makes travelling easier and so co-sleeper cots don't help there. The bed rail thing sounds promising though...

HearMyRoar Mon 01-Apr-13 21:07:55

We started off with a cosleeper cot but in the end just bought a superking bed when dd was 6 months and we decided to keep her in with us. It literally takes up our entire bedroom but is possibly the best investment we made, if you are planning on cosleeping long term I would recommend just getting a massive bed!

rrreow Mon 01-Apr-13 22:07:01

We have a big double (not sure if it's a super king, but might be) and used a bed guard like this: www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Sleep-Safe-fold-guard/dp/B000NCBSF6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1364850341&sr=8-9

You have to be careful if it creates a gap between the guard and the mattress. We got a piece of foam to wedge inside the space so there was no gap at all.

HappyAsASandboy Thu 04-Apr-13 08:02:50

We have a bed guard like the BabyDan one linked to in the previous post, and a Lindam one like this

I prefer the lindam ones as the mesh goes under the mattress. It means it helpfully catches dummies etc if they're push down the small gap. I also had an accident with the BabyDan type. I hadn't tied it on to the bed frame when we were visiting, and DD rolled into it, pushed it away from the mattress and fell down the gap. This wouldn't have been possible with the lindam one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now