Talk

Advanced search

Toddler said she had no friends.

(8 Posts)
pleasethanks Thu 28-Mar-13 19:55:54

My DS came home from nursery yesterday and I asked him who he had been playing with. He said 'no one, I played myself'. I asked him 'all day?" and he said 'Yes, I have no friends".

from talking to his keyworker in the past she has said he mixes well and is popular in the group (not that popularity matters much tbh!). He normally talks about his wee pals. His comment about 'no friends' made me a bit sad, he didn't seem too bothered and I certainly didn't make a deal out of it. Should I just leave it be and put it down to toddlers talking random stuff?!

EverybodysSootyEyed Thu 28-Mar-13 19:58:37

how old is he?

my dd is 2.5 and plays really well with her brother but at pre school she only parallel plays

pleasethanks Thu 28-Mar-13 20:00:23

He is 2.7 months. I have seen him play with other kids at nursery, when I pick him up and before he sees me. And in the past he has spoken about 'x, y and z' who he calls his friends.

EverybodysSootyEyed Thu 28-Mar-13 20:02:19

i'm sure he's fine

2yo's aren't the most reliable witnesses!

just see how he goes when he's next there

pleasethanks Thu 28-Mar-13 20:07:58

Everybody that is my gut too, as has told me things before that are simply untrue! No DS I don't think you did a big poo that flew into the air and and hit you in the eye.

But I guess just because of the nature of it, it did cause to me to stop and think.

naomilpeb Sat 30-Mar-13 08:26:38

DD used to say that at that age, and sometimes now (4.3) will come back from pre-school and say 'so-and-so' doesn't want to be my friend. I've figured out that what she means is that this child didn't want to play with her that second! That may well be what your DS means. I'd try not to worry about it.

harryhausen Sat 30-Mar-13 08:37:27

Without meaning to sound flippant - ignore itsmile

My dcs are 8 and 5. At this age every term or so they used to say almost exactly this. Dd1 never had a problem with friends (although she was a bit standoffish in reception). She's now really popular and happy. Dd2, still occasionally says things like this, but with deeper delving what he means is his friends don't always want to play his games all time.

Honestly, honestly please take it with a huge dollop of salt. Unless the nursery staff back up any fears, or your dc constantly says it all the time I really wouldn't worry.

olibeansmummy Sat 30-Mar-13 18:24:11

Ds (3.10) tells me the same thing. It's not true at all, he has plenty of friends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now