Talk

Advanced search

car sickness

(26 Posts)
lulabelle Tue 25-Apr-06 15:40:55

any sufferers? parents of sufferers? my friend says that her ds who is 18 months gets car sick, is there a certain age when it starts? what can you do to help stop it and does anything work? she says that she stops her car and gets the children out to be sick but they must give her warning, I just get, 'mum, I'm going to be...(by then its too late to do anything!!). what do you do when they feel sick?

tortoiseshell Tue 25-Apr-06 15:52:14

Ds started being car sick about 6 months ago - he's 4 and a half. We have Joy riders which we give him for long journeys, otherwise we open his window, don't let him read.

Miaou Tue 25-Apr-06 15:53:59

Yes, I get horribly carsick, so do my dds! We have found the things that help are:

- no milk or milk products before a journey (don't forget yoghurt is a milk product - got caught out by that one before!!)

- make sure they can see out (good high booster seats)

- no toys in the car - they encourage them to look down rather than out at the view

- storytapes (distraction)

- make sure they don't get too hot - they go in the car in just a t-shirt and trousers and we adjust the aircon/heating as necessary.

- full change of clothes and a large margarine tub [grim emoticon]

..... but the biggest thing that has helped has been to alter our driving style. Do everything you can to avoid braking - lift off the accelerator in plenty of time. Accelerate smoothly. Take corners slowly. All these changes have made a huge difference to our dds (to the extent that they are now only sick when they are travelling with other people!)

HTH

Bozza Tue 25-Apr-06 16:07:36

DS was sick from about the age of 1 to the age of 3.5 when we started giving him joyrides. Although there were certain conditions that made him so - long journeys after breakfast, so eg holidays. We did the following:

- avoid dairy, eg toast for breakfast
- no reading/fiddly toys
- encourage to play games like eye spy etc (even though he is rubbish at it!)

But he has only been sick once since having joy rides and I suspect that he had a bug (whinging about not wanting his breakfast etc) and the car just triggered it.

TinyGang Tue 25-Apr-06 16:09:52

Ds 4 gets car sickness.

We drove to a holiday in Cornwall with him yodelling all the way in a potty. Poor little chap, he was literally green.

By the time we got there he only had his pants on as he'd been sick over everything else. I didn't realise and thought it was the start of a dreaded tummy bug that was going to go round us all right on our holiday. However 20 minutes after we got there he was right as rain.

We dosed him up with Joyrides on the way home. He wasn't sick but said he felt it, so the potty was on standby again and he looked green again.

It's supposed to be bad to have your head down reading or colouring in the car. Keep looking out of the window and avoid all dodgy foods.

bran Tue 25-Apr-06 16:12:54

How interesting, I was thinking of posting a question about when children start getting carsick. My ds is 22 months and was very sick in my Dad's new car when we went to visit at Easter. I think it's probably car sickness as the windows are quite high up in the new car and I don't think he can see out properly, also he kept retching (and dry retching) every 10 mins all they way home but as soon as he was out of the car he was right as rain. Most of my friends with similar age children think that it was more likely to be something he ate as he is too young to be carsick.

I feel quite sorry for my Dad, he'd only had the car for 10 days. (Trying not to )

TinyGang Tue 25-Apr-06 16:13:53

Just remembered I used to get it. Sitting in the back (which children mostly do) seems to be a factor. My parents didn't have a lot, but my mum had saved up and was very proud of her new coat. Guess who threw up over it?! I was also violently sick all over my poor Grandma Lovely child, me!

zippitippitoes Tue 25-Apr-06 16:15:11

I found travelling later in the day was better and also eating normally beforehand, seaside bucket was kept in the car as good shape to hold, if they go unnaturally quiet is usually a sign, ginger biscuits, those acupuncture bracelets and type of car makes a huge difference ie large windows good, light interior, and the suspension and the route taken

zippitippitoes Tue 25-Apr-06 16:16:40

I would say it can start from about twelve months

Blandmum Tue 25-Apr-06 16:17:40

For the love of God, don't do what my halfwitted mother used to do. She would insist that I ate a fried beakfast before any long trip, chain smoke, refuse to open any windows, make me sit in the back and let me read (the latter was my fault I realise). I would be violently sick every journey.

She would stand next to me in the layby, shouting at me for making a fuss as I vomited. Cow!

Lots of fresh air, get them to look out of the window rather than in the car, distractions like book tapes, and take moterways whenever possible.......long straigt drives are better than stop-go taking bends etc.

Bozza Tue 25-Apr-06 16:19:55

Oh yes ginger biscuits are also recommended for morning sickness. I think 1-3 is the worst age TBH - not usual in babies and older children can be medicated. DD is 23 months....

Bozza Tue 25-Apr-06 16:19:56

Oh yes ginger biscuits are also recommended for morning sickness. I think 1-3 is the worst age TBH - not usual in babies and older children can be medicated. DD is 23 months....

TinyGang Tue 25-Apr-06 16:19:58

Poor you MB. I feel sick just thinking about all that. What's the point of shouting at someone being sick??

Alipiggie Tue 25-Apr-06 16:21:14

Bach Rescue remedy works for that, not sure what the age limit is if any. It calms them down and it's totally homeopathic. Go along with everthing Miaou says too.

chipmonkey Tue 25-Apr-06 17:15:10

Sometimes it can be due to a muscle imbalance in the eyes. In which case looking out the side window of a car will make it worse. If you patch one eye (play pirates!) and the sickness disappears it could well be the reason.

tortoiseshell Tue 25-Apr-06 19:53:40

martianbishop - you have just reminded me of my own dear mother's pet remedy - she used to i) let me crawl round the back of the car at will and ii) carry a jar of.....

.....cold liver for me to eat. She said it cured me - I cannot STAND liver, and I still get car sick!

spacecadet Tue 25-Apr-06 19:57:03

second what everyone else has saidabout being able to see out of the window etc, i find sturgeron a very good anti-emetic.

TinyGang Wed 26-Apr-06 00:16:50

A jar of cold liver tortoiseshell? I am running for a bucket at the thought! That is gross.

You and MB must've dreaded car journeys as children

lulabelle Wed 26-Apr-06 15:27:17

Thank you all for your posts, I wouls say that I will pass comments on to my friend but she is so impressed by you all, she has signed up as an MN'er herself! Its funny, I always remember my sister getting car sick and my Mum always made toast before we left and then ate it in the car, my sis always said it was the toast that made her sick but my Mum wouldn't have it, she always looked in tje sick bag too to tell my Dad what she had threw up!! My Mum is gross !!!!! My Nan always used to give us something like called Kwells or Quells? She made me have them even though I was never sick - just incase I was, they used to make me feel drunk and ill, but because I felt ill she said I needed them!!!!!

meysey Wed 26-Apr-06 20:04:10

I used to suffer really badly as a child and DS1 did too until we discovered Travella homeopathic tablets at a motorway service station. Magic and no more problems. Also as they are homeopathic he can be in charge of them and keep them in his travel bag in the back of the car, which he enjoys. (And he sometimes has to give me one on a joruney with hairpin bends!)

foxinsocks Wed 26-Apr-06 20:08:00

old ice cream tubs are good for car sick children to be sick in (and the added bonus of a lid till you can get rid of it!)

I still get travel sick today and cannot sit in the back of a car.

Both mine find people carriers less likely to make them sick than normal cars - something to do with getting a better view out of the window.

morethan1 Sun 30-Apr-06 11:18:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

valsmum Wed 04-Nov-09 16:49:14

I and my mum both suffered from carsickness as children, and still feel queasy now in the wrong conditions. Now my two year old DD seems to have acquired the malady. Last two trips we have taken- BIG sick, the poor lamb; tho last time I got about 30 second's warning. How old does a child have to be to be given Joyrides? I remember taking them as a kid and still feeling sick as a dog! Stugeron hepls in adult life, so do Seabands. The icecream tub thing is good advice, as is the seaside bucket! Cripes, what a miserable affliction.

displayuntilbestbefore Wed 04-Nov-09 16:56:42

I suffered badly when I was young and am still not great on longer distances if in the back of a car, so being in the front definitely helps BUT not much help for a small child so would also advise singing out loud out of the open window! I know it sounds odd but a friend suggested it and it really does work - it's like the opening a window advice in that you get more fresh air but if you also sing, it increases the benefits! You might want to get earplugs for the rest of the family though!

displayuntilbestbefore Wed 04-Nov-09 16:58:01

oh, and because one of my sons also suffers, we always have one of those potette travel pottys close at hand, just in case!! The moent he says he feels a bit ill, I can get my hands on it like a cowboy with his revolver!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now