Talk

Advanced search

afternoon naps

(4 Posts)
Caroline2103 Mon 21-Jan-13 12:29:47

hi, looking for some advice. DS is 14 weeks and is a very happy and content baby (most of the timesmile ) our evening routine is good. We bath DS about 6:30 and he is generally in bed and fast asleep by 7:45. He then sleeps through until about 4am wakes for a feed then goes back down until 7ish. Is this about right, or should he be sleeping through??
During the day he catnaps, anything between 10 and 15 minutes at a time then come about 4pm he gets grumpy and I know this is because he is tired. Should I start introducing a proper nap where he goes to bed?? If so, how is best to do this?
He is teething at the moment so will this have an effect?
Sorry for the bombardment of questions I just worry.
Thank you

ZuleikaD Mon 21-Jan-13 13:06:23

Don't worry - still far too young for fixed naptimes. And definitely too young to be sleeping through the night (technically, of course, he is sleeping through - the medical definition is 5-6 hours). There's a big sleep regression coming up in a couple of weeks so you may find it's all change then anyway.

Caroline2103 Mon 21-Jan-13 14:33:23

thank you. please excuse my ignorance but what is sleep regression??

ZuleikaD Mon 21-Jan-13 15:37:04

When they appear to have got the hang of sleeping well and then suddenly it all goes out of the window and their sleeping patterns change completely. It can be very unsettling! There's a big growth spurt around 4m (which is nearly always accompanied by sleep disturbance) and also a developmental one - again which is accompanied by sleep disturbance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now