Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Are the £9.50 Sun newspaper holidays any good or is the accommodation really horrible?

(27 Posts)
GemDoll Fri 11-Jan-13 15:02:01

I was wondering if anybody can let me know what they are like and has anyone gone to Europe? We're a family of four and looked at going abroad last year and the price was so expensive we simply couldn't afford it.

What puts me off is wondering if the accommodation is dirty or not. I did a Sun Holiday about 8 years ago in the New Forest and the caravan was outdated and stank of smoke and a bit dirty and the beds were super uncomfortable.

Because of the horrible caravan I stayed in I can't bare to choose that accommodation option again so I was wondering about choosing the tent option or a chalet or lodge and wondered if they might be 'cleaner' somehow confused I couldn't see on the form how to select accommodation though if there is a choice between caravan or tent for example.

Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated! We are specifically looking at Europe.

fairylightsandtinsel Fri 11-Jan-13 18:18:19

my mum and dad have done them loads. The accomodationis fine, obviusoly basic but fine

somewheresomehow Fri 11-Jan-13 18:23:15

why should cheap mean dirty.
we have done them a few times and the caravans are as clean and nice as if you pay full price for them

GemDoll Fri 11-Jan-13 18:46:18

The one I stayed in was dirty but it was 8 years ago, so I wanted to ask other people's opinions!

lagoonhaze Fri 11-Jan-13 20:34:26

All have been ok. some have been fantastic, some have been just ok.

Worth a try.

If dirty you complain. You can still expect the same standards!

GemDoll Sat 12-Jan-13 07:54:47

Thanks Lagoon for replying! Can I ask which have been the fantastic ones?

GemDoll Sat 12-Jan-13 07:55:57

Lagoon we're thinking of looking at Cornwall and Isle of Wight too now.

BrianButterfield Sat 12-Jan-13 08:01:07

We did one and it wasn't dirty at all. In my experience, Haven sites are better than Park ones, and it's worth paying the extra for the upgrade.

would also be interested in knowing about Europe for future reference!

BedHog Sat 12-Jan-13 08:03:37

We've been on 3, all in the UK so can't comment on Europe, but the accommodation has been good every time. I'd recommend upgrading to the £15 or £18 accommodation if you can afford it - you get a slightly better caravan and earlier check-in. The only problem I've come across is they can be quite cold at night if you go in spring or autumn, so maybe pack an extra duvet.

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 12-Jan-13 08:12:11

We have done a few, the accommodation is normally fine but basic.
We went to Cornwall 2 years ago, but we paid extra for an upgrade.

GemDoll Sat 12-Jan-13 09:07:39

Thanks for the tips about upgrades. It's sounding positive!
Have people usually had caravan homes or has anyone ever got a chalet or lodge or bungalow? I was wondering what they are like.

lagoonhaze Sat 12-Jan-13 09:58:14

Which part of cornwall? We dont usually holiday at home!

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 12-Jan-13 10:00:03

We take the dog with us so don't do caravans.
In Cornwall we had a cottage.

GemDoll Sat 12-Jan-13 10:12:07

Tantrums, so lucky! Was it nice?

GemDoll Sat 12-Jan-13 10:14:07

LOL Lagoon thinking of Hayle and St.Tudy or Bude.

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 12-Jan-13 10:19:30

It was really nice actually. It was small and compact but very clean and well equipped.

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 12-Jan-13 10:20:12

We stayed at hayle by the way, it's lovely. There's a beautiful beach and quite a lot to do nearby.

GemDoll Sat 12-Jan-13 10:28:49

Are you hoping to book this year Tantrums?

gruffalosarse Sat 12-Jan-13 10:30:31

We travelled to Brittany last year with sun holidays, upgraded to a 3 bed roomed cabin with decking area. Accomodation and park facilities were perfect, kids clubs were inclusive too. I had some reservations before booking but it was essentially a eurocamp holiday for a 1/3 of the price. My children LOVED the holiday, we are planning on booking for spain this year.

sooperdooper Sat 12-Jan-13 10:32:02

We went to one in Wales, it was very dated and I'm not usually fussy on accommodation, it didn't actually work out that cheap imo in the end, for what we got and the limited spaces we were offered

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 12-Jan-13 10:34:52

Yep, collecting my tokens!
Haven't decided where we are going yet though.

GemDoll Sat 12-Jan-13 10:34:58

gruffa is it all Eurocamp abroad? I no nothing about this as you can see. Will you be flying to Spain or doing the drive?

GemDoll Sat 12-Jan-13 10:38:47

Tantrums, I can't decide either. Feel quite excited! I'm thinking of trying France but feeling like I'm stabbing in the dark a bit. I would prefer to tent over caravan home but can't see where I can specify this on postal booking form?

gruffalosarse Sat 12-Jan-13 11:43:19

We'll be flying to spain this year, we drove to France and I would be happy to do this again but DH really wants guarenteed sun this year! Have a look at the eurocamp website to see facilities on offer. The sun also offers reduced ferry fares too. Do you have a location in mind?

GemDoll Sat 12-Jan-13 12:35:36

I'm thinking about Vendee in France or possibly Holland. I would love to know how much your flights are to Spain for future reference!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: