Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tough days

(13 Posts)
Doodlekitty Wed 09-Jan-13 20:54:57

Hope people don't mind if I have a bit of a moan. 8 week old son was pretty much sleeping through but the last week he has woken up more and more frequently. Last night it was every hour, wanting to be fed each time, sometimes for 30 mins. DH has a new job and us still trying to give a good impression so I do my best not to disturb him, but at 5am I had to wake him as I was going insane. There's not much he can do though as I'm breastfeeding. He changed nappy and sat and rocked him, but he wanted feeding so ended up with me. Today he has not slept at all but feeds are pretty much back to normal. He won't even sleep in the car!

Tonight DH is out at work function. He offered not to go but I told him too as I know it's really important. But I'm so so tired and now feel loaded with cold. Just want someone else here, even just to talk to. Single mums, for the millionth time since I got pregnant I raise my cap to you. You deserve a medal or 10.

wanderingalbatross Wed 09-Jan-13 21:07:49

The newborn days (and nights) are exhausting, especially if your baby changes their pattern and starts waking more regularly. I remember that DD got better and better at sleeping until she was about 12 weeks, when it all regressed again, and it felt like a huge step backwards. Sounds like your son is having a growth spurt too, if he's waking every hour for food.

Have you tried co-sleeping and/or lying down to feed? That was (and still is!) a lifesaver for me. I never got on with expressing, but I know a lot of my friends expressed a feed and got their DH to give it, meaning they got a good chunk of sleep. Also, I know you can't take much for a cold if you're breastfeeding, but have you tried holding your head over a bowl of steaming water? That's a great way to clear your head if you're feeling stuffy.

Hope you get some rest soon.

Doodlekitty Wed 09-Jan-13 21:27:25

Thanks wandering. I'm not great at feeding lying down, just never got the hang of it but might resort to it tonight if we have a repeat!
I'm living on warm orange juice with honey for the cold. To be honest I think I'm just feeling a bit sorry for myself. Thanks for the comments smile

Wolfiefan Wed 09-Jan-13 21:31:01

Poor you. Those early days are truly exhausting. Can anyone take baby for a push round the block or prepare food then cuddle babe while you eat. You need looking after too. (My DH used to have to make a sandwich for me in the morning so he didn't arrive home in the evening to find I hadn't eaten!!)

extracrunchy Wed 09-Jan-13 21:33:38

If he was great before it might just be a growth spurt. They go on a temporary feeding frenzy and then back to normal! Hope it settles down soon x

Doodlekitty Wed 09-Jan-13 21:43:10

I was wondering about growth spurt. He has injections tomorrow as well hmm not a good week

Iggly Wed 09-Jan-13 21:44:25

I reckon growth spurt. Sleep in the day when he does!!

wanderingalbatross Wed 09-Jan-13 21:54:04

I found that feeding lying down got easier as DD got bigger and could move her head better, so maybe it'll be better for you in the future?

I think anyone on their own with a demanding 8 week old and a cold would be feeling down - it's hard work at that age and just relentless. But, this stage will pass and everything will seem better once the cold has gone smile

Doodlekitty Thu 10-Jan-13 05:47:53

DH came home at 11 and took baby for 3 hours so I got some uninterrupted sleep! I'm on only the second wake up of the night and what a difference! Hoping he'll settle back down for an hour or so after this feed. Thanks for all the support

mummy2benji Thu 10-Jan-13 08:06:07

Likely to be a growth spurt so hang on in there! Hopefully he will be back to normal feeding pattern in a few days. If it continues longer, you could consider a single formula top-up at night-time as this satisfies their hunger for longer and would allow you a bit more sleep. A single top-up won't affect your milk supply and neither will he decide he prefers formula - breast milk tastes better than formula to babies. Have a chat to your health visitor if it continues, but I hope it all settles down for you soon. The lack of sleep with babies is tough! I am running on very little myself as I have an 11 week old dd who spent a week in hospital with bronchiolitis recently so feeds are a bit erratic, and a 4yo ds who still wakes at night a couple of times and needs me to take him to the loo / cuddle if he has a nightmare. Remind yourself that you're doing a great job - you alone are ensuring that your baby continues to stay healthy and grow and develop. It will get better! x

Squigglywiggly Thu 10-Jan-13 09:31:48

I can only sympathise and have a moan too - my 12 week old was improving until about a week ago and now wakes every 2 hours apparently ravenous. I know it is a phase - but it is hard going especially when you have a 2 year old as well so can't sleep in day. Wanderingalbatross - how long did you dd sleep regression last?

wanderingalbatross Thu 10-Jan-13 09:59:05

doodle glad you are feeling better smile

squiggly I'm not the best person to ask as DD is not the best sleeper, even now she's 19mo! But, I do know from talking to friends, that all babies have good periods and bad, they don't just consistently get better at sleeping, it is very up and down. Teething, growth spurts and developmental leaps all affect sleep without you knowing why (until after), and it seems to DH and I that our DD's sleep is more affected by these things than other babies we know, hence her regressions seem to last ages!

TheToadLessTravelled Thu 10-Jan-13 10:04:26

A pharmacist recommended menthol crystals to me as suitable while breastfeeding. They are literally just pure menthol crystals that you put into boiling water and breathe in to clear your nose. They were behind the counter at the pharmacy so might be worth asking. Not much else they can recommend unfortunately.

Hope the growth spurt eases soon and you feel better. Remember this too shall pass smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now