Talk

Advanced search

Sterilising

(6 Posts)
sparklesandglitter Fri 04-Jan-13 21:14:14

Hi, do I need to sterilise a sippy cup for a 4month old? It will only have water in. Also when we start weaning do I need to sterilise spoons/bowls etc? Thanks!

Clargo55 Fri 04-Jan-13 21:33:21

Hi Sparkle, can I ask why you want/need to give water?

Its recommened that you should not give water until you start weaning at six months.

I would steralise bowls and spoons as its recommend to steralise until 12months. However some people are happy to wash with regular dishes.

OnceUponAThyme Fri 04-Jan-13 22:25:58

I sterilized bottles due to the milk in them, as milk can grow harmful bacteria.
I washed cups/bowls/cutlery in hot soapy water but never sterilized them.

CoolaSchmoola Fri 04-Jan-13 23:48:50

I sterilised EVERYTHING til DD was 6 months, then bottles until she was a year. As we started weaning at 5.5 months this meant that I sterilsed bowls and spoons initially. After six months I chucked them in the dishwasher, which pretty much sterilises them anyway. At a year bottles went in there too.

I had to give DD water at that age for constipation stemming from Gaviscon for her reflux. I gave her cooled boiled water in a sterile bottle as I felt it was a bit early for a sippy cup.

sparklesandglitter Sat 05-Jan-13 07:53:23

She has water and laxatives due to chronic constipation and I was advised by the HV to introduce a sippy cup and she said give a bit of water in for her to practise with (she took it straight away and started drinking) but obviously she can't have her medication in that yet

Thanks for the responses!

Tee2072 Sat 05-Jan-13 07:58:55

No need to ever sterilize anything, especially if you have a dishwasher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now