Talk

Advanced search

For those who fed to sleep - when did you stop?

(4 Posts)
Tolly81 Tue 01-Jan-13 20:31:15

Oh thanks that's made me feel much better and great ideas for weaning them off doing it!

jjazz Tue 01-Jan-13 20:07:16

18 months- a big hefty toddler who put 3 big meals away and drank plenty of milk from a cup and I dreaded stopping. I anticipated weeks of controlled crying would be needed and even left it until the summer hols incase it was a nightmare-DH is a teacher.
It was probably the easiest thing ever!! I started saying a silly "night night rhyme" as I finished feeding him for a month or so before stopping.
Once I decided to stop I told him he was a big boy and could now only have water after his teeth were cleaned. I also made a big thinng of him being old enough for a story at bed time and just substituted story for boob. Then I cuddled him up and did the "night night rhyme" and put hime down anticipating hysterics- not a peep.
He is 3 tomorrow and we have roughly the same routine- except he eeks 2 stories out of me now and corrects any mistakes I make with the words.!!
Keep doing it if oyu are happy and dont worry- enjoy this time with your little one.xx

lola88 Tue 01-Jan-13 20:01:02

DS is 11mo and we still feed to sleep he doesn't always fall asleep on the bottle now sometimes finishes then goes to sleep and has stopped needing it to go back to sleep at night i think they way he's going he will grow out of it in the next 6mo or so.

Tolly81 Tue 01-Jan-13 19:56:24

I still feed my 7mo dd to sleep. She's now bottle fed but als used to feed to sleep while bfing. Not all that inclined to stop as she sleeps reasonably well when she's not ill or teething (bed at 7:30, usually one or two brief wake-ups in the evening before 10 (5-10mins) then either sleeps through till 6:15ish or one wake-up about 3ish). also going back to work soon so don't want to mess her sleeping up before that, working on the if it isn't broken don't fix it principle. It's also practically extremely difficult to keep her awake on her bedtime bottle and it seems a little bit crazy to wake her up after it and expect her to then go back to sleep. I don't feed her when she wakes up for night feeds. But I'm now thinking that I can't do this forever so has anyone done this until their DCs grew out if it? If so when did it happen? If they didn't when did you stop and what did you do instead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now