Talk

Advanced search

Help should I be worried about yellow sick?

(10 Posts)
Littlemai Tue 18-Dec-12 00:00:41

Hello
My baby is 41/2 months and gas just been very sick in his sleep. I got him up and changed and the he was sick again, only a small amount this time but bright yellow. I assumed that was just because he had emptied his tummy, but the scary place that is google said that yellow sick is serious? He is fell back to sleep easily and didn't cry at all don't think he's in pain.
Just slightly worried I'm in for a night of being vomited on!
Never sure when I'm panicking too much or being too laid back.... Thanks for any help

RyleDup Tue 18-Dec-12 00:04:06

I don't know, but if you are worried call nhs direct.

BertieBotts Tue 18-Dec-12 00:06:11

If it was only a tiny bit that was yellow and the bulk of it was white, then I think it was probably just stomach bile. He's not on those banana antibiotics is he? Or I think one of the own-brand versions of calpol is yellow. You haven't given him any carrot or apple sauce or banana or anything at all - is he still on milk? Sorry to ask obvious questions - easy to overlook when you're tired smile

Sorry to say though if your 4 month old is vomiting up bile you might well have a night of it...

Do you know the signs of dehydration? That's the important thing to look out for with little ones. If he's breastfed then keep offering the breast as much as possible even if he brings it straight up.

Also, towels. Lots and lots of towels. Line your bed and his cot with them, use them to catch sick, make yourself a little apron out of them to sit/lie him on. They save everything and at least they wash smile

MousyMouse Tue 18-Dec-12 00:07:26

I would worry if:
baby is floppy
sick smells of poo
baby doesn't drink
gets high temperature as well

if you bf offer boob as much as possible, bm is the perfect composition for rehydration.

Littlemai Tue 18-Dec-12 00:08:10

Thanks, I guess I'll wait and see if he is sick again then maybe ring them, asleep on my chest at the minute.

BertieBotts Tue 18-Dec-12 00:08:13

This might help: (Assuming you're on a computer and not a phone or tablet)

www.nhs.uk/nhsdirect/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Littlemai Tue 18-Dec-12 00:09:27

Ooh thank you

BertieBotts Tue 18-Dec-12 00:10:31

Ah sorry that won't work. Says for over 6 months only. Might be best to call NHS direct then smile

Littlemai Tue 18-Dec-12 00:16:32

Thanks again, just read actual posts don't know how but seem to arrive in funny order. He's still bf and as he is sleeping on me will feed him often. He is sleeping but was ok when I woke him to change him, he only half woke up to be sick, all smiles when I changed him. Hopefully just a one off but knowing my luck and the fact I am going to visit my brother who I haven't seen in ages tomorrow it will prob be stomach bugs all round. Thank you for late night support, more reassuring than snoring dh x

BertieBotts Tue 18-Dec-12 00:37:26

smile Keep an eye out for sunken fontanelle and lack of wet nappies, and if you put gentle pressure on his finger, the nail/skin should go white but return to pink again very quickly, if it's slow to turn pink then that can be a sign of dehydration too. (Apologies for assuming you're white - it's the easiest test I know of, more reliable than the soft spot which can look a little flat anyway.)

If you do see any signs of dehydration, take him straight to A&E because they can go downhill very quickly, but if he's just vomiting and seems fine other than that, just keep an eye on him. Most babies who are allowed access to the breast won't become dehydrated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now