Talk

Advanced search

At the end of my tether!

(4 Posts)
HoobaubleDoobauble Sun 16-Dec-12 08:58:45

My (very nearly) 4 year old has turned into a nightmare over the last month or so. He's ok when it's just the 2 of us, but the second his dad comes home he starts throwing things, spitting, arguing and generally acting like a brat.

I've also been taken aside at nursery to be told his behaviour has gone downhill over the last few weeks.

We've tried ignoring bad and rewarding good, time out, taking favourite toys away, shouting at him. But nothing seems to work, he says he doesn't like daddy (which upsets my dh a bit as they were thick as thieves before).

He also gets up very early in the morning, so, as you can imagine, we're very knackered and a the point of snapping.

Is this normal for his age? I can handle it if it's normal. Does anyon have any advice how to make him behave?

BabysPointlessPocket Sun 16-Dec-12 15:10:40

My ds was exactly the same around that age, it was very upsetting for dh, but draining for me as he only wanted me for everything.
I think it's to do with the oedipus complex, Wiki link here

It does pass! Just go with it.

Iggly Sun 16-Dec-12 17:12:07

There's a Testoterone surge at aroun 4. I'm surprised your nursery don't know that?

Your DH should be doing quite physical play with him with clear boundaries, he needs a lot of outdoor time or hands on messy play. Apparently it matters that its a man that does this! Plus clear boundaries even more than ever.

this is interesting

HoobaubleDoobauble Sun 16-Dec-12 22:48:01

Thank you both, it's very reassuring to know it's not something 'unusual'. The article was interesting, especially the Superhero play as my house is 90% Spiderman at the moment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now