Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

quorn

(10 Posts)
Bibs123 Tue 11-Dec-12 16:34:53

I eat quorn sometimes as i am veggie. My DD is 16 months and is not veggie but is there any reason she shouldn't occasionally have stuff that i have made with quorn mince in?

spookysal Tue 11-Dec-12 16:36:26

My dc eat quorn (and we are not veggie either)

ash979 Tue 11-Dec-12 19:19:51

Us too

Bibs123 Tue 11-Dec-12 19:39:27

Thanks. Had some idea in my head that they shouldnt have it for some reaso. Must have dreamt it!

BoraBora Tue 11-Dec-12 19:54:42

Hmm, I've got something in my head about under twos not having it...unless I dreamt it too!

BoraBora Tue 11-Dec-12 19:57:03

Okay, just looked it up on the NHS website. It's fine from 9m. Basically they can't have it before then as its not calorie dense enough; they get too full before enough cals/nutrients have been taken (same reason it's good for adults!)smile

coldcupoftea Tue 11-Dec-12 20:03:37

I remember looking into it when DD 1 was weaning- iirc they shouldn't have a lot of it when they are very young as it is high fibre and low fat, and low calorie so may fill them up too much before they have adequate nutrients. At that age they need full fat food. Also some quorn products can be quite high in salt.

Not explaining myself too well, but have a look on the Quorn website. Mine are now 4 and 2 and they had quorn sausages for tea yesterday!

coldcupoftea Tue 11-Dec-12 20:12:10

X post Bora grin

Bibs123 Tue 11-Dec-12 21:10:59

At least i am not going bonkers, thanks bora and cup of tea. I am thinking a bit of spag bol every now and then will be ok then, will just put extra butter on hers.

negrilbaby Tue 11-Dec-12 21:28:54

You may want to take a look at this before feeding Quorn to your little one.

http://rontlog.hubpages.com/hub/Food-Allergies-Quorn

I was veggie for 20+ years and ate a lot of Quorn in many disguises. I developed quite severe Ulcerative Colitis which was managed by medication. I started realising that I was having flare-ups following meals with Quorn and decided to stop eating it all together following acute stomach pains during my first pregnancy (miscarried at 12 weeks).
I haven't touched it since and have since been in remission with the UC.

A small proportion of people have an allergy to Quorn but it can cause real problems if you are. Take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now