Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Confused with feeding and sleeping

(5 Posts)
Roopoo Tue 11-Dec-12 09:11:56

DS is rubbish sleeper at 6 weeks Still mainly every 2 hours at night. And with one feed lasting an hour only getting an hour in between.

He's on comfort milk and because its thick takes him ages to drink making feeds last longer.

Tried him on normal formula and he was ok on Sat and Sun. Yesterday he was a nightmare.... Spent last night this morning weeping as it took me back to the dark days of pnd which I had with DD....

So in catch 22..... No sleep better in the day... Slightly more sleep awful from morning to midnight which is when he gave up screaming last night... Then up for feed at 2....

He isnt napping well at all in the day

Im not even making sense. Im so tired and he is crying so much and I can feel pnd creeping back up.

Just wanted any advice or ideas before I see HV tomorrow.

ZuleikaD Tue 11-Dec-12 09:27:48

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time, but really, feeding every two hours at night isn't 'rubbish', it's normal. Don't beat yourself up because you think your baby's doing something wrong. If it's taking him an hour to drink a bottle then maybe the comfort milk isn't the way to go - there's a growth spurt around now so perhaps if he did better on the normal formula at the weekend then it's worth sticking to that. Naps during the day often haven't settled down at 6 weeks - most babies are doing something like 90 minutes awake and then 45 minutes asleep during the day at this point. I know it's hard but don't wind yourself up about the pnd - you're tired and you feel like nothing's predictable or sorted at the moment and you have an older DC to look after too. Be kind to yourself.

Roopoo Tue 11-Dec-12 09:35:28

Thankyou.

Roopoo Tue 11-Dec-12 11:00:32

Sorry for the very short reply.
What you say makes sense. Think Im putting to much pressure on me and DS.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Tue 11-Dec-12 19:36:01

Do you use a faster teat with the comfort milk as it is thicker? If your Lo has to work hard to suck the milk through a slow teat they will get tired quicker and not take a full feed. Try a faster one preferably with a single bigger hole rather than an increased number of holes or use a variflow teat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: