Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Night Terrors (and about dying)

(5 Posts)
wineoclocktimeyet Sun 09-Dec-12 22:43:58

DS1 (aged 10 1/2) had night terrors about 18 months aged between 7 1/2 and 9 years but up until recently, hadnt had one for about a year. They have started again but this time he's saying things like 'i don't deserve to live' and 'I want to kill myself' - it breaks my heart everytime sad

There hasnt been any trauma recently and when awake he seems his normal self (albeit a grumpy so and so sometimes!) and of course as he doesnt remember them, I dont want to ask him directly.

Does anyone have any experience of this please? and any advice? Other than asking the Doctor, I'm not sure where to turn.

Thank you

SquidgersMummy Mon 10-Dec-12 20:47:44

Is he saying those things during the episode - ie when asleep and not really with it - or when awake. Night terrors tend to happen at the same time each night - so waking briefly (getting him to turn over sort of thing) just beforehand can stop them. If the comments are during the episode I really wouldn't worry - if outside of the episode you need to talk to find out the cause of these comments. IME (working with children) children can use these comments to secure attention that they need (as they realise the comments are frightening to adults) but also some children really do feel this way, in which case you need to see your GP for a referral for support from child and adol mental health services. X

wineoclocktimeyet Mon 10-Dec-12 21:37:40

Thanks for replying. He only says them when 'asleep' otherwise he seems his normal cheerful self. He is a sensitive soul and certainly a bit of a worrier but has never said or hinted at anything like this when awake.

He is open and talks about how he's feeling quite alot and I think thats why it upset me so much, that perhaps he has these negative thoughts and hasnt told us.

SquidgersMummy Mon 10-Dec-12 21:59:26

Honestly don't worry - its just like a dream - try waking 5/10 mins before it tends to happen every night for a week or so - should reset his sleep pattern - haven't experienced it myself just once worked with a family who had the same and this is what they recommend xx

amillionyears Mon 10-Dec-12 22:02:01

I second what SquidgersMummy said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now