Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How often do you shout?

(5 Posts)
monkeynuts123 Tue 27-Nov-12 19:46:39

Just that really and what do you count as shouting? I probably shout at DC maybe twice a week (3yrs and 1yr...never have shouted at the 1yr), and the rest of the time I use a firm raised voice or firm lowered voice. I consider shouting to be a properly raised voice but not screaming. I have screamed twice in her life and still feel pretty crap about it now. I feel there is such pressure to be calm and serene but really who manages that?? The last time I shouted at her was because she was kicking water out of the bath all over the floor and baby on mat and wouldn't stop when I asked her to. Just wondering what other experiences are and if I am a very shouty mum or just a bit shouty?

Ilovecrossfit Tue 27-Nov-12 21:58:55

so you're good...I raise my voice quite often but do I shout?? ..well my hubby thinks I do, but i believe I want my children to know if they upset me or if someone else does i can raise my voice as Im only human too, i do shout if I tell 6 yrs off to get off the table as this is his new game especially with some drink, and he doesnt listen and 5 secs later milk is all over table an dfloor..so i shout " bed now"...I never shouts names as I noticed some mums in town do if I shout it would be ' out of here now" or "upstairs in your bed'...or after asking/beging/explaining id lose it and shout ' stop it"...

MrsTomHardy Tue 27-Nov-12 22:34:56

I shout most of the time at home. I don't think I ever speak normally sad

But I have got 3 Ds's aged 10, 13 and 15 who are attached to their xbox's most of the time, either that or they're fighting....oh the joy's!! smile

blondefriend Wed 28-Nov-12 21:03:17

I shout. Not proud of it and try not to but still do a couple of times each week. Sometimes I think I do it more often when OH is home as I way of indicating to him that I'm stressed and could do with a helping hand.

matana Thu 29-Nov-12 14:11:22

I raise my voice and get mildly irritated with DS (2yo) maybe a couple of times a week. I've shouted maybe twice in his lifetime so far. And quickly realised it achieved nothing other than making me feel guilty. I have a 'stern' voice that makes my DS take notice, usually when he's hurting someone (or the cat) or is in danger. I think my temper is tempered (pardon the pun) by his age. I may shout increasingly as he gets older, though I hope not.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: