Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with your 4 week old?

(17 Posts)
BoraBora Tue 27-Nov-12 14:27:49

When they are awake and on the rare occasion they're not screaming? I try and interact and smile at my DD, but that's it. Should I be doing stuff with her? I feel like it should come naturally but it doesn't. I just feel like a bit of a twat.

HorraceTheOtter Tue 27-Nov-12 14:47:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crystaltea36 Tue 27-Nov-12 20:14:17

Hiya, my DD is 4 weeks old too, today I just read out the online shopping list to her and asked her opinion on which apples to buy! haha I feel stupid too but she seems to like it when you just smile and talk to her!

DraggleTailedWench Tue 27-Nov-12 20:20:13

DD is 1 now, so thinking back... I remember singing to her at about week 2, and I read to her regularly really young but I can't remember when it started. She was definitely too young to interact though. She loves music and gravitates to books so it must have sunk in!

Ilovecrossfit Tue 27-Nov-12 21:54:42

I suppose admire her because in this early weeks I still couldnt believe she was all mine smile) Id talk to her, sing to her even talk...enjoy, they grow far toooooo quick smile

sparklekitty Thu 29-Nov-12 16:47:42

It was about 4/5 weeks that I started baby massage classes with mine and she loves it. Started swimming at 6 weeks so we do 2 classes a week, I make sure I get out and see my other mummy friends once a week with her. I was/am determined not to be stuck at home all day every day smile

The rest of the time I sitting chatting to her, showing her some of the toys, putting her under her mobile, bath tome and/or shower time with her etc. Lots of cuddles, some walks. My dd is now 9 weeks, she became much more interactive at 5/6 weeks so I felt less stupid chatting and singing etc as she would react more.

waterrat Thu 29-Nov-12 18:50:34

put him in the sling and ignore him! while enjoying a nice cuddle ...put my ipod on ., listen to the radio ...etc...when they are older and need your attention you will look back at this peaceful tranquil time when they don't need much input other than cuddles and laugh!

do not feel the need to do anything....

sling , walks, cuddles that's it.

sunnybobs Thu 29-Nov-12 19:01:07

Lie on sofa, feed them, watch trashy tv, read books, sleep whenever you can, go for walks & eat cakes in cafes - enjoy & do whatever you feel like! You will never get teeny baby time back & if you have more then you will have stomping older one around to amuse. I wish I'd more of my own suggestions when number 1 was tiny & worried less. He's fine, gorgeous & very stimulated now at 2 & I should have enjoyed the tiny baby peace more!! grin

DD2 is three weeks and I just talk to her about random stuff through the day. She likes to look at the christmas tree lights and peoples faces. But thats about it really.

Can babies go swimming as early as 6 weeks?

whatsoever Thu 29-Nov-12 19:15:26

My DS is 6 1/2 weeks and only really interacting with me 10 days ago. I worried I wasn't doing much with him other than feeding/changing/bathing/cuddling him but that is pretty much all they need, with some chatter as they like hearing your voice.

All I have added now is a bit of daft play (pulling faces etc) and singing with him sitting on my knee or in his bouncy chair and some basic toys on his playmat. We go to a breadtfeeding group & have been to Rhyme Time but they're more for me if I'm honest. Similarly getting out & about to see friends & family - it's for me, children don't play together for ages.

Hoping to start baby massage after Christmas, he'll be 2.5 months then.

OneNiceGreenLeaf Thu 29-Nov-12 19:53:08

I found it much easier to interact with my DD once she started smiling and engaging with me, at about 5 weeks. Before that, she just looked a bit confused!

Loislane78 Fri 30-Nov-12 16:19:51

Smiling, chatting, stroking, singing - wouldn't try too much more like waving loads of toys in their face as they can easily become over-stimulated. Your face and voice is comforting and what they're interested in at this age so don't need to do too much more.

Enjoy smile

Loislane78 Fri 30-Nov-12 16:21:23

Oh and shapes - you can draw straight and swiggly lines, dots and smiley faces. Anything with a lot of black/white contrast is good ,

Mine are a little bit older but I remember feeling the same. I used to read lots to them, those little baby books. It felt like we were doing something.

Lots of walks and cuddles, oh how I wish sometimes that we could go back to just days of cuddles! I don't think I appreciated the slower pace of thngs at the time.

blonderthanred Sat 01-Dec-12 13:31:20

I sing (half-remembered nursery rhymes or made-up silly songs) and say reassuring stuff to my 5 week old. I kept worrying I was meant to be doing more but there really isn't much time between sleeping, changing and feeding and crying.

In the last week he has started to take in the world a bit more so I have shown him a couple of black and white toys which he looks at or reaches out towards.

AngelDog Sat 01-Dec-12 21:32:26

I put my 7 w.o. in the sling and ignore him - though (a) he sleeps most of the day & night and (b) I also have a 3 y.o. so I don't need to entertain the baby.

AbbyRue Sat 01-Dec-12 21:43:32

I too feel like a twat! DS is 4 weeks old today. We just talk to him about random stuff. He doesn't look bothered tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now