Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Argghh, this constant competing for my attention is doing my head in, pls help

(5 Posts)
Dancergirl Mon 26-Nov-12 09:25:37

I have just come back from doing the school run with my nerves frazzled yet again. Dds 2 and 3 always argue about who's holding my hand, walking next to me etc and it's v draining. I've tried holding both their hands but some bits are narrow so it's impractical.

Dd2 is nearly 10 - I'd have thought she'd be beyond wanting to hold my hand by now! They do tend to rub each other the wrong way - dd3 often misbehaves and dd2 winds her up to get a reaction and doesn't know when to shut up! Although dd3, who's 5, gets VERY jealous when I give someone else attention and often barges her way through. She also copies everything dd2 does which really annoys dd2.

Does anyone have any tips? It's got to the stage where I dread drop off and pick up time.

sommewhereelse Mon 26-Nov-12 12:58:27

I would sit them down and tell them that you don't like holding their hands but you don't like the squabbling and ask them to go away and come up with a plan for how they can share better. Until they've done this, no hand holding (presuming DD3 is old enough to walk safely without holding hands).

If they struggle you could give them some ideas eg one on the way to school the other on the way home, a week each......

sommewhereelse Mon 26-Nov-12 12:58:57

Sorry, I mean you like holding their hands but ....

sommewhereelse Mon 26-Nov-12 13:01:11

Oh and if they forget the rules they came up with, make a joke of it. Put your hands in the air and wiggle them. If you dare make a silly noise at the same time, I bet your nearly 10 year old will quickly remember the rules out of embarrassment. It worked for me but fortunately there were no other adults in sight just kids!

GimmeIrnBru Mon 26-Nov-12 17:32:07

It's an awful job you don't have to hold DD1, DD2 and DD3's hands all at the same time - then you'd be a bit stumped!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: