Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

If you could freeze time ...

(14 Posts)
mustbewinetime Sat 24-Nov-12 20:09:10

What age/stage would you keep your children at if you could? And why? (I sound like Cilla)

My DD is 2yo and while I love where she's at now (i struggled with that first year!) and don't want to wish her little life away, I can't wait until she's a little older to do all the fun things with her like cinema/zoo trips etc. Also can't wait until all the baby equipment has vacated our house - it's everywhere!!

FivesAndNorks Sat 24-Nov-12 20:10:33

despite my whining, probably now
5 and 3
I only need to be involved in some toilet trips, they sleep all night, they say lovely things, they entertain themselves but they still want cuddles and I can put right anything that is wrong in their world. Plus seeing DS learn to read is amazing.

FivesAndNorks Sat 24-Nov-12 20:11:13

And yes, we can have meaningful trps out that they both really enjoy

MumblingFanjoChops Sat 24-Nov-12 20:19:27

I'd love to have my son as a newborn again, I loved it, I loved the transition of getting to know him when he was in my stomach to after he was born, I sat and watched him all the time, I just loved how precious he was. He is now a very intelligent 2yo who loves to play and learn, he actually lights up my life, and his laugh is the most adorable sound I have ever heard! I really enjoy the stage he is at for days out and the play times,but I miss the way he used to fit entirely in my arms and I felt I could truly keep him safe! I sound barking mad!

Fuzzymum1 Sat 24-Nov-12 20:28:33

I love how my kids are right now - approaching 19, 15 and 6. The 18 year old is human again after a few iffy years, the 14 year old has yet to turn into a grunting lump and the 5 year old is quite charming at the moment - he's generally well behaved, old enough to be pretty independent yet still young enough to think that mum and dad are pretty amazing :D.

If I could revisit a time it would be the newborn stage - I love that snuggly stage of complete dependence but I think it would get tiresome if it went on forever.

OddBoots Sat 24-Nov-12 20:31:47

I don't want to freeze time, I'm greedy, I want a little catalogue and be able to pick the time I wanted that day, I could have them as babies one day, teens the next, then a day of toddlers, then grown up maybe with children of their own, then a school-aged day...

All the stages have their pluses and minuses, I wish I could go back and cuddle their tiny baby selves but I wouldn't want to go back to that stage permanently.

Molehillmountain Sat 24-Nov-12 20:47:38

I so want the catalogue thing! Parenting is too much like successful gardening- you get loads of the same thing all at once and sometimes I lose sight of the charms of a certain age. I'd have masses of babies if I could dip in and out and also I'd like a bottle of newborn smell please (even the poo actually wink)

CPtart Sat 24-Nov-12 21:01:45

Ages 4-7. They are potty trained, feed and dress themselves and most importantly sleep all night. They know what "wait a minute" means...and generally do, and despite increasing independance nothing pleases them more than doing things with mummy and daddy.

coldcupoftea Sat 24-Nov-12 21:09:16

I think age 3 and 1. I loved being a mum to 2 preschoolers, not constrained by the school run, pootling around going to the park or toddler groups.

Hmm, I also went back to work when DD2 was 18 months though, so maybe that's why I'm idealising about those last few months of being a SAHM...

QTPie Sat 24-Nov-12 21:22:21

In some ways I don't want to freeze time - since every age has new discoveries and new things to look forward to.

BUT I don't want to get to the point where DS (now almost 3) is grown-up and leaves home - I just LOVE having a family in the home. Yes, there are downs, tantrums, frustrating bits, but God I just adore being a Mum and having someone to love and care for (I love my husband very much, but kids are something else) living under my roof.

Starting IVF for DC2 in the new year (hopefully Feb) - would adore another one (although will be 39 in Feb and feeling old sad ). Wish that I had discovered motherhood earlier in life. Had a great life and many fun times before DS, but feel so much more fulfilled side he was born smile

Sirzy Sat 24-Nov-12 21:24:36

DS is just 3 and I have to say I love this age. We can do more things together (we had our first cinema trip this morning) but he can entertain himself and I could watch him little imagination at work for hours smile

sausagesandwich34 Sat 24-Nov-12 21:25:29

4&6

they were young enough to believe in magic and fairies, but old enough that they could go to the loo, dress themselves, didn't tantrum

and they got on with each other!

Uppermid Sat 24-Nov-12 21:26:48

That 1st few weeks or now! Aged 9 and 6

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 26-Nov-12 12:55:16

Right now, at 1 years old. Although I say this at every age!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: