Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Changing my babies name!

(4 Posts)
MillyStar Mon 12-Nov-12 17:19:05

evening smile

I've got a 6 month old dd and I want to change her name

I knew her dad was a bit of an arse when I fell pregnant, drink is his main problem! He improved a lot around the time she was born and I stupidly gave her his surname

I chucked him out when she was 3 months old and he's gone from bad to worse! He sees her for about two hours a week, I was taking her to his mums where he lives again but I could tell he was sneaking upstairs for drinks so I make him come here now

It's annoyed me a few times aswell when her new nursery have used her surname for me etc

I've been thinking about changing her name for a while now for a few reasons, one of them being that she lives with me my mum and dad and is very much 100% our family and he can hardly be bothered with her, plus I hear stories every week about what an idiot he's made off himself in town at the weekends and I just don't want that association for her

From looking online I think I need his permission to do it be deed poll or I will have to apply for a court order if he refuses

I really don't think it will come to that, he won't be happy but once he sees that I'm serious I think he will sign

Anyway my question is Which is the official or best deed poll website, there seems to be so many, or are they all ok?

YBR Mon 12-Nov-12 19:33:15

Not having ever needed to do this myself I'd start by
Having a look for information on the website or failing that I would contact the local registry office and ask them to point you in the right direction.

I'm sure this is something you can do for yourself - it probably involves downloading a form, getting the necessary people to sign it, and sending it with a fee to the right office. I expect many of the websites are pseudo-legal outfits who'll charge you 10 times as much to do something very easy for you.

Just a thought, but could it be done as correction to the birth certificate?

sarahtigh Mon 12-Nov-12 22:08:21

assuming you are not married, did he come with you to register the birth and is he named as father on her birth certificate? if so, legally he has to agree to a name change therefore you need legal advice

you may need a court order but how easy it will be if he opposes it. I don't know

if however he is not on birth certificate as father you can change it I believe on your own,

upanddown83 Mon 12-Nov-12 22:17:19

My friend changed her sons name when he was 3.5 just before he started school. She never had any maintenance payments from her son was born and father had only seen him a handful of times )as he moved to another country) although fathers family are still involved in child's life weekly. My friend used uk deed poll service and had to prove the father was not around and unable to sign the form apart from that it was quite easy. Hope it's as easy for u!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: