Talk

Advanced search

Flu Jab for 13 year old???

(9 Posts)
sanityseeker75 Fri 09-Nov-12 15:25:14

I hope I am posting this is right place but could do with a bit of advice.

I have 13 year old DS who suffers with asthma (bad every year in winter), last year he was placed in hospital for 2 days on oxygen and steroids, this year he has avoided hospital (thankfully) but has had to increase inhaler dosage and had course of steroids.

He has been called for a Flu injection (never had one before) and I have known people to be really poorly after having it - I know people say it doesn't make you ill but even the receptionist at the doctors said some it does and some it doesn't?

Really unsure what to do for the best I can obviously see the benefits of the jab but he is never generally ill - just asthma. I don't want to make him ill though by having him have the jab and then regret it.

Anyone in similar position?

BeaWheesht Fri 09-Nov-12 15:29:52

Ds got swine flu then pneumonia his asthma has been much worse ever since. No side effects.

SpottyTeacakes Fri 09-Nov-12 15:31:35

I've been having the flu jab since I was twelve (diabetic) and I've never had any side effects. I think people who do generally just feel off colour for a few days which is surely better than being hospitalised with breathing difficulties.

melliebobs Fri 09-Nov-12 15:33:16

I've had the flu jab and one year it made me Ill for a couple of days. But having had proper flu (not just a bad cold) those side effects were worth it

rrreow Fri 09-Nov-12 15:39:09

I personally didn't suffer any side effects from the flu jab apart from some soreness in my arm around the injection site.

micku5 Fri 09-Nov-12 15:42:38

We had our flu jabs last Saturday. Dd2 (6) has a compromised immune system so the whole family needs to have their jabs and apart from a very sore arm we've all been ok.

Notquite Fri 09-Nov-12 15:49:42

My daughter is 15 & asthmatic & has the flu jab every year. She's never had a reaction worse than a sore arm. She has, however, had 2 weeks off school this term with a chest infection caused by a non-flu virus, & has been on steroid pills, so I'm relieved she won't have to face the flu as well.

Sirzy Fri 09-Nov-12 15:51:04

Ds is 3 next week, he has had the flu jab the past 3 winters because of his asthma and has never had any side effects

sanityseeker75 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:26:38

Thanks - that's helped a lot, will get him booked in Monday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now