Talk

Advanced search

Are you sherlock: What the HELL is wrong with 4mo DS?

(20 Posts)
SeatOfMyPants Thu 08-Nov-12 21:08:49

4 mo, has been combination fed for 3 weeks. All fine until now.
We were in a nice routine - 7pm swaddle and he was usually asleep after a 7oz feed by 730. Usually my partner gives him his bottle at 7 and that's it for the night but we've been up for 2 hours trying to soothe him in various ways.
What is the matter with him?He's so upset. But eventually crashed about 10 minutes ago - I think hes waking up again tho because he's hungry.
And he's hardly eaten so this is not exactly surprising.
I really can't do this tonight - I am SOOOO tired. I need some sleep, even a few hours I don't care.
Ive thought teething....I think he might have a dairy intolerance (he's on Aptimil comfort but it's still not curing the wind)....Argh! Pleeeeeease help?

Or does anyone want a baby by any chance?

llamallama Thu 08-Nov-12 21:10:02

4 month sleep regression is my bet. My DD went haywire at 4 months!

AnyaKnowIt Thu 08-Nov-12 21:10:44

Isn't 4 months growth spurt time?

GupX Thu 08-Nov-12 21:10:55

Aaaaahhhh.

This is the thing. Once you've got it sussed - they change.

Time for an alteration to the routine?

Can you and DP take it in shifts?

I hope you get some sleep!

SeatOfMyPants Thu 08-Nov-12 21:15:26

You're ALL BASTARDS = where is my 'oh, this is just a little blib' post!!!!!!

SeatOfMyPants Thu 08-Nov-12 21:16:08

I mean Blip. And seriously. No - I don't think you are "BASTARDS"

Please someone come on and tell me it'll be ok.

SeatOfMyPants Thu 08-Nov-12 21:20:17

Oh and I should say - the 'nice routine' lasted for about ooo - one week.

He's been generally a windy and tricky baby - hence thinking of the dairy intolerance. Honestly, I'm not a smug person coming on being 'oh, what's wrong with my perfect baby..he's been so perfect for all his life'...

No. He hasn't. We've had NO sleep for months. Then I go off dairy and we put him on Aptimil Comfort and -what-do-you-know - he starts sleeping through the night within a fortnight - he's not cured of wind but he is WAY better. I had (very accidentally) some yoghurt at a cafe last weekend and he has been a windy shit bag ever since.

I really hope no one is going to show him these posts when he can read.

AnyaKnowIt Thu 08-Nov-12 21:20:34

It will be ok, I promise smile

ignores the fact you called me a bastard grin

Longtalljosie Thu 08-Nov-12 21:21:44

Teeth?

AnyaKnowIt Thu 08-Nov-12 21:22:01

Have you had the intolerance checked out?

BertieBotts Thu 08-Nov-12 21:22:37

4 month sleep regression - sorry grin

Might be combined with a growth spurt too.

Apologies, but DS slept 8 hours from 7 weeks... then the 4 month sleep regression hit, and he didn't sleep through reliably until he was TWO!

Also - Aptamil comfort is dairy, so it can't be the dairy he's reacting to if that's curing it.

EdgarAllanPond Thu 08-Nov-12 21:28:01

check his toes for hair.

check his whole body for things that might be hurting him.

other than that, you have my sympathy - sad

SeatOfMyPants Thu 08-Nov-12 21:31:01

no - aptimil comfort isn't curing him but he's better - enough to get to sleep in the first place which is a start.

Trying to get the intolerance checked but no one takes me seriously on it.
But the period I was off dairy and he was on AC was the best we've had so far - wasn't perfect, but way better than before.
I don't think growth spurt - we just went through one and I'm pretty good on the signs I think....
Argh! No - one replied to my anyone want a baby plea.
Anyaknowit? Have a baby for free? As an apology for almost calling you a "COMPLETE BASTARD" ala Vivian in the young ones (not showing my age).

NorksAreMessy Thu 08-Nov-12 21:33:41

I would like your baby please.

Yorkshire terrier or teenage boy for the swap?

AnyaKnowIt Thu 08-Nov-12 21:34:11

Erm, no have just gotten over reflux with my 20 month old. Thanks for the offer.

Have you thought about silent reflux?

NorksAreMessy Thu 08-Nov-12 21:34:22

Where are you 'seat'?

<checks satnav battery>

Marzipanface Thu 08-Nov-12 21:38:50

Could be anything. At that age my DD started teething. Is he gnawing at his fingers, doing weird shit with his mouth? Give him a cold teether and see if that makes a difference.

Or maybe he has any number of ailments that he can't talk to you about, an earache, a headache, a tummyache. At that age, can you give him some calpol? If he is fine ten mins later then you can be sure it was a pain somewhere. He will feel better and everyone will be happier all round.

I spent hours dying of tiredness with my little one rocking and soothing until finally my Mum suggested some pain relief. Ten mins later my dd was happy, eating and sleeping. I can't believe the amount of time I wasted trying to help her and how many hours my little one must have been in pain!

vamosbebe Thu 08-Nov-12 21:41:20

We feed DS Nestle A110 (yes, I know Nestle are the evilest kind of evil, but that's the lactose-free milk we get free off the Spanish government!) and he cheered up NO END: less windy, colic cleared up almost overnight (and we used to burp him for about an hour after each feed), much quicker to settle.

I'd hazard a guess it's teething, in which case it won't last long. DS has had 7 teeth come in with only a bit of a cry at the first two, we got quite blasé about teeth - but tooth number 8 insists on being a 'gilipollas' (don't want to be reported for swearing!) and he has cried NON-STOP FOR 3 DAYS. I'm at the end of my tether, but I know that this too shall pass.

thanks

used2bthin Thu 08-Nov-12 21:42:36

I am going through the same with my 4 and a half month old dd2. dd1 stpped sleeping well at 5m but this one has never slept well-last night it was every twenty mins till I put her in with me then every hour. Its been this way since she went from crib to cot on sunday. It is exhausting and I don't know what the solution could be-luckily she is mostly happy when awake.

ajandjjmum Thu 08-Nov-12 21:43:04

Happened with DS who was an angel at night - a monster in the day though! He had the ribbon of a soft toy getting progressively tighter around his thumb. The thumb was blue before we realised. blush Hope he settles soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now