Talk

Advanced search

Explaining the Poppy / rememberance sunday to 4 year old?!?

(8 Posts)
Tw1nkle Thu 08-Nov-12 16:55:49

Hi,
My DD has just turned 4 (only a couple of days ago!).
Today I've come home with 2 poppies for me and DH, and a 'stick-on' poppy for my DD - I thought nothing of it when I saw them in Tesco this morning.
So my DD has asked what they are - why I didn't think about that before she saw it I don't know!!!
So what do I say, in a nice way?
Thanks!

givemeaclue Thu 08-Nov-12 17:00:54

To remember and think about people who keep us safe like soldiers.

My dcs are 5 and know that there have been wars and that people died etc (museum trips etc) but at a basic level I would explain the poppy helps us think about other people who ,keep up safe

YDdraigGoch Thu 08-Nov-12 17:08:28

That's not really what they are for though, is it. It's to remember people who have died fighting for our country. Poppies are used because they grow on the battlefields of the First World War.

PeggyCarter Thu 08-Nov-12 17:11:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CMOTDibbler Thu 08-Nov-12 17:17:00

We think about people whose lives have been affected by war - either as soldiers, sailors or pilots or because the country they live in has fighting in.

We wear poppies because a man who had been a soldier wrote a poem about it, mentioning the poppies growing in the fields where they fought.

MaryPoppinsBag Thu 08-Nov-12 17:19:52

I attended an Remembrance assembly today at school ages 4-7 present.

Y2 have been doing a 3 week topic on it complete with role play trenches with rats and frogs in.

I'd just say that it is to remember soldiers who died a long time ago fighting in a war.

Tw1nkle Thu 08-Nov-12 17:21:18

These are all great - thanks so much!
I'm sure i can come up with a combination of them all!

Sirzy Thu 08-Nov-12 17:22:27

DS is nearly 3 and I have just told him its to remember the soldiers, as he gets older he will learn more. I am on parade every remembrance sunday and he will be coming to watch again on Sunday so it will be a normal thing to him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now