Talk

Advanced search

Boozy Christmas Cake

(6 Posts)
Cbell Thu 08-Nov-12 06:52:02

OK!

So this is a bit of a random question but I usually 'feed' my Christmas cake a decent amount of brandy while it's maturing. Please, don't think me and idiot but what happens to the alcohol content? It's not whipped away by Christmas elves is it?

I ask because I have a DD and while I don't mind her having a little bit of cake brandy is a no, no.

I usually make my cake on stir-up Sunday (25th November) but I'm concerned that if I don't feed it it will dry out by Christmas.

Cbell Thu 08-Nov-12 06:58:40

Found my answer:

Foods containing alcohol that are uncooked, such as gateaux, alcohol-soaked cakes and syllabubs should, of course, never be offered to children (as the alcohol is not evaporated and remains present) and, contrary to popular belief, even cooked foods can retain more alcohol content than many people realise.

Guess I'm going to have to feed it with orange juice

Mothpop Thu 08-Nov-12 21:17:13

I soak my fruit overnight before making the cake like most people. This year in addition to alcohol I also added quite a large quantity of earl grey tea to add extra moisture. I also used whitworths dried fruit which is partially rehydrated and so contain much more moisture. So far I have made 2 cakes this way and both have been eaten. I have 2 more waiting … the depressing thing is that I'm now on a dairy free dirt do I can't touch them!

BananaPie Thu 08-Nov-12 21:26:20

I'd imagine that the amount of brandy per slice of cake will be pretty negligible. I won't have any qualms about dd having a bit of mine. I can't see how it could possibly do any harm.

sarahtigh Fri 09-Nov-12 17:54:15

while I make mine with brandy etc I would not feed it much if you add 1-2 tablespoons over whole cake it is unlikely to harm though she may not like taste, I think with only 4 weeks if you make sure you do not over cook it will not really need feeding strong tea or eldeflowe cordial is an alternative, or tried ASDA mulled wine flavour juice ( not from concentrate juice with some spices)

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 09-Nov-12 17:57:47

It's a tiny amount of brandy really. I have no problem giving it to my dd, although obviously it's up to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now