Talk

Advanced search

settle this for me - puke related

(17 Posts)
lola88 Wed 07-Nov-12 21:05:27

If you realise DC is going to be sick and it's either going all over you or the carpet what do you pick?

I would let DS puke on me (and do) everytime because it's easier to change than to scrub the carpet DP is disgusted by it hehe

RobinSparkles Wed 07-Nov-12 21:06:33

Catch it in your hands!
That's what every mother does grin

MimsyBorogroves Wed 07-Nov-12 21:13:05

I hate sick, but would still make myself catch it in my hands, or in the nearest possible receptacle. Don't want any sicky carpets here.

I have been known to run across the house with a retching cat in order to hold it over the loo though. Note: don't hold retching cat and spin round whilst thinking of what to do. Doesn't do the wallpaper much good.

NellyBluth Wed 07-Nov-12 21:16:29

Yeah, horrible as it is I prefer to try and catch the sick on me somehow - still at the baby stage, so as much as I hate it I do let her just puke all over my clothes because I can stick them in the washing machine.

If it was downstairs with the wooden floors, though, I'd probably aim her for them!

lola88 Wed 07-Nov-12 22:00:28

thank you DS is 9mo so when he's sick he wants to be cuddled so it ends up on me apart from one epic time i managed to catch it in his toy truck smile

It must be a mum thing

mycatlikestwiglets Thu 08-Nov-12 09:29:59

DS had reflux and was sick all the time as a baby. I gave up trying to catch it and the carpet in his room now has lots of rather disgusting off-colour patches on it from where I've had to scrub away sick (thankfully we have wooden floors downstairs). I'll be replacing his carpet once we've got through potty training grin

NellyBluth Thu 08-Nov-12 10:56:04

Well done on the toy truck grin

DD is also 9mo and is being cuddled when sick. Normally it just ends up dribbling down into my slippers....

anklebitersmum Thu 08-Nov-12 11:06:52

Yup, I'm a catcher too. Hands out and guiding them at speed (I'm usually travelling backwards) towards a 'better' place.
Memorable mess when DS1 threw up off the top of his high sleeper, there was no catching it that time. grin

marriednotdead Thu 08-Nov-12 11:18:21

This is bringing back memories! DS was always puking, we still have a small bucket bought specifically for him. As soon as the DCs were old enough to understand, they were taught to aim or run for anything hard and washable- bins, loos or hard floors. Another good one was a clean nappy (motorway, travelsick nephew and couldn't stop).

Am lucky never to have had to catch it in my hands <shudders>

WitchesTit Thu 08-Nov-12 11:20:00

I've never been an instinctive catcher [bad mum emoticon].
I direct them away from me without realising that its much easy to get sick smell off of me than the carpet.

20+ years of parenting and today an almost 2 yo who has just projected puke over the spare room (bed, rug, laptop etc) and I still haven't learned this skill sad

Poledra Thu 08-Nov-12 11:28:15

I'd catch it - have done so in my hands (whch revolted my DSis, who said she'd have let the carpet have it) and once, in my bra. Lucky it was a mahoosive maternity one, so there was space for it all...

minimouse88 Thu 08-Nov-12 14:47:42

Hi there, our dd went through a stage of projectile vomiting so we always had a small plastic bin to hand when we knew it was likely to happen (after her milk at bedtime usually just like clockwork) and used to put towels down on the carpet and over her/myself at bedtime to stop the carpets getting completely ruined. That said i still ended up with loads of it all over me all the time! hope it stops soon. ps have recently used a vax for the first time on our carpets and they are great! smile x

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Thu 08-Nov-12 14:48:53

On me. That is what I always did when they were little.

Now they are 7 and 10 it is a whole different ball game and amount...

JoandMax Thu 08-Nov-12 14:55:13

On me definitely. DH instinctively holds them away from him though, he panics with puke and can't help it!! DS1, 4.4, gives us warning now though.

Although in every room we have a "vom towel" tucked away somewhere since having severe reflux DS2!

BertieBotts Thu 08-Nov-12 14:56:47

Me because it's easier to wash grin

Think it must be a mother's instinctive thing... if DP was sick I don't think I'd be rushing to catch it in my hands! Yuck!

Yoghurty Thu 08-Nov-12 14:59:06

Thank god for laminate floors, that's all I can say!

We also have a 'vom towel' grin

Liskey Thu 08-Nov-12 15:07:55

DD had reflux as well and we used to feed her and then wait with a muslin to catch some of the projectile vomit/rest of it used to land on us easier to clean us then the carpet. Luckily she grew out of this at 9 months.

However she still gets sick easily with colds she was sick this week and I instinctively caught it in my hands as I figured it would be less mess to clean up later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now