Talk

Advanced search

Support groups for full time working parents?

(9 Posts)
joannejasmine2008 Wed 07-Nov-12 12:40:51

Hi

I'm not sure if I'm posting on the correct forum but I was looking for either some advice or pointing in the right direction.

I am a very proud mammy to a gorgeous four year old girl and I currently work 4½ days per week. I am certain that I'm not the only parent who works full time! and I am looking to make friends for both my daughter and myself for parents who are in the same boat.

I don't know whether there is already a support group set up in the North East or whether I should look to set something up myself. I was thinking maybe a social thing where we could meet say once during the week after 5.00 pm or a Saturday or Sunday morning and go to local places together.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Joanne

MoelFammau Wed 07-Nov-12 15:05:49

I'm in Glasgow and it's tough meeting families when you work full time. I've been here a year and know one other family. Go me.

Hoping you can kickstart something :-)

mermaid101 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:18:24

That's a great idea! I work full time and it is really hard to meet other people with children. I've tried to keep in touch with people I met when I was off on maternity leave, but most of them work pt and meet up during the week.

I find weekends so busy as well trying to catch up with house work and things.

I don't have any advice I'm afraid. For me, once a week would probably too much, but I realize that it would need to be fairly regular to keep up the momentum. So, no real help there. Sorry!

Moel, I'm in Glasgow too. I'd love to hear if you heard of anything that might be along these lines.

MoelFammau Thu 08-Nov-12 19:31:13

I'd recommend the Tramway on the Southside as a way of meeting parents. There's a big safe garden at the back where you can let toddlers race around so you always bump into someone.

CatsRule Thu 08-Nov-12 21:19:25

Moel and Mermaid I'm in Glasgow to!

I'm due to go back to work very soon and not looking forward to working fulltime! At the moment I just can't fathom how I will manage everything but I guess like everyone I will somehow.

It's hard to fit everything in as it is and keep in touch with people. I think I will need to get super organised!!

MoelFammau Thu 08-Nov-12 22:10:49

If you're looking for childcare, we have an amazing p/t nanny. We can't afford her now so DD is moving into nursery, but she gets SO much more out of her. If you're looking for a nanny share, I'd love to hear from you. Sharing would work out the same as nursery.... Just SO bloody reluctant to lose her, hence shameless plug on MNet sad.

CatsRule Fri 09-Nov-12 09:41:41

I hope you find someone to nanny share with.

We have already paid our deposit for nursery, it seems really good...I just hope he likes it!

It's a horrible thought having to leave him to go back to work!

MoelFammau Fri 09-Nov-12 13:53:29

DD is taking a while to settle into nursery... feel so sorry for her sad.

Where in Glasgow are you based? I'm a Southsider.

CatsRule Fri 09-Nov-12 21:02:51

I'm in the east end. I hope your dd settles soon. I really don't want to leave ds but if he settles and enjoys it I won't hopefully feel so bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now