Talk

Advanced search

How long does your 6 month old go between naps?

(8 Posts)
Saltytomato Tue 06-Nov-12 14:22:32

My baby is 5 and a bit months old now and he seems to be getting tired after about 1.5 hours of being awake and if I keep him up for more than 2 hours he turns into an overtired little wreck. I need to put him down after being awake for 1.5 hours and he can get himself off to sleep in about 20 minutes....

Is this normal? I thought he should be staying awake more than this by now?

lola88 Tue 06-Nov-12 15:55:27

does he cat nap? DS always cat napped and slept 3 or 4 times a day between getting up at 7 and 4.30ish so he would only e awake for a couple of hours in between but would only have maybe 1.5/2hrs sleep in total.

I had many comments about how much he slept when in actual fact he didn't sleep very much just little and often. He now only sleeps twice a day he's 9mo and gets about an hour a day somedays he will have 3 sleeps.

Saltytomato Tue 06-Nov-12 16:59:27

Yep, 35 mins at a time, I could set my watch to it. I was hoping to hear it would get better, but sounds like it is just more of the same.... smile

Fuzzymum1 Tue 06-Nov-12 19:34:14

DS3 was similar at that age - he napped for 40 minutes about 3 or 4 times a day. Not long after 6 months he settled into a better nap routine. He would nap from 9am to 10.30am and then about 1-2.30pm and then a 30 minute nap around 5. He slept 7-7 at night at that age.

Saltytomato Tue 06-Nov-12 19:43:44

fuzzy that sounds like a dream! The longest my DS has ever gone is 10 hours, once! He usually goes 7.30pm - 7.30/8am with about 2 feeds in between.... Ah well, at least I know I'm not alone with the frequent catnapping. Thanks!

lola88 Tue 06-Nov-12 19:54:28

salty you are most deff not alone lots of babies catnap, i just let DS sleep as and when the only rule i have is not after 5pm .

Now DS naps around the same time each day about 9/10 1/2 and sometime 4.30ish (never later than 5) so i just plan my days around it, tomorrow we will be going to do some xmas shopping so i will leave the house around 9.30 let him sleep in the buggy then give him lunch about 12.30 he will sleep on the bus on the way home and if he needs it a nap about half 4. I tried for ages to make him nap better for longer but hated being tied to the house and certain times and the screaming his head off so i just go with his natural patterns now

FantasticMax Tue 06-Nov-12 20:54:33

At that age mine was going about 2 hours between naps. Now at 9.5 months doing 2.5 - 3 hours before needing a sleep.

Saltytomato Tue 06-Nov-12 21:40:49

You have all made me feel a lot better. I tried to nap extend and he cried and cried and I felt horrible so I vowed never to try that again! He is a very happy little boy, just gets tired quite quickly. I'll just keep letting him set the pace! Thanks ladies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now