Talk

Advanced search

What do you do when they are screaming in the buggy?

(15 Posts)
SquidgersMummy Mon 05-Nov-12 17:02:29

My DD is 13wks, I am on mat leave, DH in work, lots to do where we live but we are trying to manage on one car so it's 20 min walk to/from town. I love my buggy, I love walking everywhere even though it's hilly, I think we should walk there are too many cars ferrying children and babies around where it's not really necessary - I really worry about polar bears, the icecaps and the future for our children.....but she sometimes screams the entire journey home up the hill. Today I took my carrier..so pushing a shopping laden buggy and then a screaming baby in the carrier. I use a Morrisons as a staging post for feeds and changes before we set off - changed her but maybe should have fed her to sleep too? Do they get better or worse with the buggy as they get older? Got a bumper bar activity thing but she can't quite reach it all yet. I wouldn't leave her to cry at night but I've just endured 20mins of her screaming up the hill with me trying to shush her along looking rather frazzled.......Any tips??

X

lljkk Mon 05-Nov-12 17:23:44

wine?

sorry, DC4 was like this. He got better at 11 months. Sorry to say something so grim.

With DS I couldn't bare to hear him cry so I'd take him out of the pushchair and carry him in the sling everywhere. It was exhausting (he screamed any time I stopped walking) but on the plus side it helped me lose all my baby weight and the extra stone I was carrying before getting pregnant.

Now I have DD as well I have no idea what I'll do if they both start crying, but I intend to use the sling as much as possible, I just think babies like to be close to their mums; if it's possible then it's such a short time so why not?

newgirl Mon 05-Nov-12 17:36:23

It might be more a timing thing rather than a buggy issue - she might want a cuddle, be hungry etc, had enough of being in there - maybe a trip round shop plus walk back feels ages to her - I just remember short trips were key - as soon as I was out for longer than hour or two mine would get frazzled at that age

TeWiDoesTheHulaInHawaii Mon 05-Nov-12 17:42:39

When they're small I think it helps to schedule a rest stop at a cafe/bench so they can have a feed/cuddle before going back in the buggy. Sometimes they're just hungry and can't wait until you get home!

If they do start crying try pushing the buggy faster, I find it helps them drop off.

SquidgersMummy Mon 05-Nov-12 18:37:23

Thanks all - hhmm shorter trips, carrier and maybe planning a stop at the bench half way home .....think I've been staying out too long perhaps.

Thanks we'll try again!!

AngelDog Mon 05-Nov-12 20:02:27

I'd take DS out and pop him in the sling. With us it could be hunger, tiredness (he couldn't sleep in the pram) or boredom.

greenbananas Mon 05-Nov-12 20:22:41

Oh it is so horrible when they scream in the buggy sad

I never could bear it, and my solution was one of these slings plus one of these trolleys. It was so much easier that I soon stopped using the buggy altogether.

peachypips Mon 05-Nov-12 20:26:40

Buy some ear muffs then sing 'Land of Hope and Glory' loudly.

diyqueen Mon 05-Nov-12 20:27:22

My dd hated the buggy until she could sit properly upright in it, and then only tolerated it for short times. I gave up in the end and used a baby carrier on my front and rucksack on my back for the nappies, spare clothes etc.., and then when she was bigger carried her on my back and the stuff in a shoulder bag. Interestingly dd has just recently started asking to go in the pushchair sometimes, at 19mo, so it's finally getting some use!

SuperDuperTrooper Mon 05-Nov-12 20:43:28

I never went out without the baby carrier too. If he went berserk I'd put him in that instead - it usually worked!

WillowB Mon 05-Nov-12 22:14:02

Not sure which way your pushchair faces but can you turn it the other way to face you/outwards? DS hates wearing his winter coat, hat and mittens, cue lots of screaming! The dummy is my occasional saviour I'm afraid!

JennyinCorfu Tue 06-Nov-12 09:08:52

I had this with DD1. I wanted to do epic walks and before we had got to the end of the street she was wailing. We started our walks in the buggy, transferred to sling when she cried, then if she fell asleep back into the buggy. As time went by she went longer in the buggy.

Once she could sit up my problems were over. So prop up as soon as you can (5 months?).

It would have been a lot easier if I had had a forward facing buggy too.....

JennyinCorfu Tue 06-Nov-12 09:10:29

oh and I had a huge revelation one day when I turned her round in the sling so she was facing outwards - happy walks again......it was all about curiosity.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Tue 06-Nov-12 12:53:45

I also have a 13 week old dd- also a pushchair hater. I have her forward facing in the baby Bjorn which I know is the spawn of sling devil on mn, but both mine really liked it. Make sure she can properly support her own head before you do that though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now