Talk

Advanced search

I think DD is bored of me

(13 Posts)
Mothpop Sun 04-Nov-12 21:19:54

DD (14 weeks) and I have been on our own since she was 2 weeks old as DH was posted overseas with the army.
The last months have been hard but I have tried very hard not to let her see me feeling sad. I am worried now that some of it has rubbed off on her or that I bore her.
I play with her and smile and laugh as much as I can but she often seems serious and I feel i have to work hard to get her to crack a smile. In the meantime everyone with babies of the same age seem to be talking about their DCs laughing and giggling all the time.
Am I paranoid? DD is my world and I would hate for her to not be having as much pleasure out of life as she should.

Pi1978 Sun 04-Nov-12 21:48:21

Some babies are just not giggly and smiley. My first was like that - I never understood the people who talked about having a laugh and a giggle with their babies but on the other hand she was calm and lovely and rarely upset and pretty much bypassed the terrible twos.

My second is the happiest giggliest baby (well he was, he's a bit older now!) On the downside, he would get so upset about things and went through absolutely awful terrible twos.

Both are growing into lovely children. They are all different! smile

cantmakecarrotcake Sun 04-Nov-12 21:58:54

DD wasn't a big smiler or giggler either at this age. Some just aren't. Don't fret. :-)

rhetorician Sun 04-Nov-12 22:01:49

she's just a serious baby. I had one of these; I now have one of the giggly laughing ones. They are both lovely

neontetra Sun 04-Nov-12 22:03:05

For a long time my dd didn't seem to smile as much at me as she did at others. I was told this is because it takes babies a long time to realise that their mother is a seperate being from themselves. Now she smiles at me more than anyone else - except perhaps her dad. You are clearly a loving mum, and things must be tough for you, but your daughter loves you very much. She's still very little - soon she'll be laughing, smiling (rolling around everywhere, pulling your hair etc) like nobody's business.

Saltytomato Sun 04-Nov-12 22:09:18

I can totally relate to neon. My son is now just over 5 months and I used to think he much preferred his dad cos I barely ever got a smile or a laugh, but after about 4 months he started to smile at me loads.

He still isn't one of those babies that laughs and smiles heaps around other people, but when he is with me and his dad he will giggle away when we play with him. It does pass, I spent weeks feeling depressed and trying desperately to get him to notice/have fun with me.

steppemum Sun 04-Nov-12 22:09:40

she really is not bored of you. You are her world. Nothing matters more to her than you do.
Maybe her personality is calmer, maybe she is thoughtful, maybe she has a highly developed sense of humour and will only laugh at good jokes!

Enjoy her, don't fret about her laughing, be thankful she osn't crying all the time too.

QTPie Sun 04-Nov-12 22:26:27

Oh goodness - she could never be bored of you! At that age, they don't need an awful lot of things other than their mum.

To give you both other things to do (and take your mind off of your DH bein away), do you do many baby activities/groups? Might give you some companionship too. Waterbabies, baby sensory, NCT coffee mornings, baby groups, post-natal mother and baby pikates/yoga etc. Make sure you ge out on walks too (for your own sanity). Even with DH not being away, activities helped give my day structure and keep me sane smile

Rhubarbgarden Sun 04-Nov-12 23:05:38

I'm another one who had one very serious baby and then a smiley giggly one. It's funny how different they are. I put much more effort into trying to get dc1 to laugh, but tickling, funny faces, you name it it was all met with a stoney face. Then along comes dc2 who squeals with laughter just because I've opened a drawer or something. confused

Don't worry about it, honestly.

McPhee Sun 04-Nov-12 23:14:08

My Dd is quite pan faced too, and at 4 months has only laughed twice

I try not to get a complex blush

rhetorician Sun 04-Nov-12 23:15:12

I don't think dd1 laughed at all until about 18 months; she now (aged 3.9) finds burps and farts hilarious. Oh, and bogeys. Be careful what you wish for.

Mothpop Mon 05-Nov-12 15:08:26

Thank you, everyone, for your reassurances. Believe it or not she almost let out a giggle todaysmile. Admittedly this afternoon she was inconsolable and screamed for 45 minutes - start of a new not-so -wonder week!!!

BraaaaaainsButterfield Mon 05-Nov-12 15:11:38

Before I opened the thread I thought "I bet the dd is 12 weeks old". Nearly right grin it seems to be a common complaint I hear at that stage. You feel like they're so old, that you've seen them grow so much, and then actually you still don't get much interaction. She isn't bored though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now