Talk

Advanced search

When did you start cutting your ds's hair?

(16 Posts)
Rhubarbgarden Sat 03-Nov-12 13:55:33

DS was born with loads of hair, and now that he is nearly 6mo he's starting to look like he needs a hair cut. It seems rather young to start though! Is it easy to do it yourself or is that a really bad idea? {clueless}

LunaticFringe Sat 03-Nov-12 14:07:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Andromaca Sat 03-Nov-12 15:18:14

DS had his first haircut with the local hairdresser at 4 months, after I did my 3ys old DD hair and it was so bad that and my husband told me he was going to ask for a divorce if I'm ever going again close to our DC hairs with a pair of scissors.... Total overreaction in my humble opinion, it was bad but not THAT bad...

noviceoftheday Sat 03-Nov-12 15:39:05

Not done it yet. We need to blush <whispers quietly> he was born last year blush

GobblersSparklyExplodingKnob Sat 03-Nov-12 15:40:56

Age 2+ for both of them, but they were seriously bad at growing the stuff grin

Knittingnovice Sat 03-Nov-12 15:49:06

DS was 15/16 months, but my DSis is a hairdresser with her own saloon and does it for them even now

Rhubarbgarden Sat 03-Nov-12 21:19:13

Ah, nobody has said crazy lady far too early. That's good. I'll bob him into the local hairdressers then for a short back and sides. I must confess I'm glad there hasn't been a chorus of do it yourself either; I'm more than happy to learn from others cautionary tales. Nail cutting is already stressful enough.

Thanks

lola88 Sat 03-Nov-12 21:58:25

The younger you do it the better IMO obviously if they have hair then they are used to it.

DS is 9mo and has had 4 haircuts I get a 4 at the sides and quite short at the top which lasts about 8 weeks , i don't go to the hairdressers though i take him to the barbers i find the barber does a better boys cut (but that just may be my specific hairdresser/barber

pity he's not a girl he could have lovely bunches by now smile

ZuleikaD Sun 04-Nov-12 06:32:13

Oh, I do it myself, it's easy. I do DD's as well. You need a pair of proper haircutting scissors and it's a piece of cake if you just go in for a quick snip when they're distracted. You don't have to take much off to make them look a lot tidier and it saves a fortune.

Pascha Sun 04-Nov-12 06:35:30

DS only got his done last month age 2 by my mum, and that was only to take it out of his eyes and tidy the neckline up. He just doesnt have that much hair.

notcitrus Sun 04-Nov-12 08:32:47

Fringe when it reached his eyes, about 1yo. Haircut about 18mo by hairdresser. Do get one who is used to children - once the manager was away and the stylist in charge told the trainee with no English to do 2yo ds. She was taking forever, ds got hysterical, and eventually I walked out with my snot-and-hair covered furball son. 3 years later they still refuse to do him though the manager can do a fantastic job.

Mollydoggerson Sun 04-Nov-12 08:39:38

I brought my ds1 4 yrs and 6 months and ds2 3 yrs and 5 months to the hairdresser for the first time yesterday, it cost €32 and I do as good a job myself.

There is not much you can do with kids hair, I think money is better spent on a good scissors and a comb and give it a go yourself. In time buy a clippers.You hone the skill with time.

nextphase Sun 04-Nov-12 08:53:00

We have a tame ex hairdresser who lives over the road.
She comes here, and cuts DS1's hair in the kitchen. Been doing it for ages (he's 3).
DS2 is approaching 18 months, and has less hair than DS1 at birth. Think we won't have to be doing that for a while!

Anyway, my point. Except for the clearing up afterwards, its been much less stressful for us with the "mobile hairdresser" route than having to traipse into town.

It doesn't matter what age he is - if its too long it needs cutting!

Fuzzymum1 Sun 04-Nov-12 09:15:56

DS1 was about 2 as he was seriously lacking in hair.

DS2 was about 2 but that was because I couldn't bring myself to cut off his beautiful baby curls and he had ringlets before it got cut

DS3 was about 8 months old - he has had much faster growing hair than the other two.

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 05-Nov-12 10:54:16

I would definitely recommend the hairdresser rather than a DIY job. I tried to do DS's myself the day before we were going to a family wedding and ended up having to get an emergency appointment for it to be fixed as it looked so awful. It's much harder than it looks!

WitchesTit Mon 05-Nov-12 11:09:11

He had one at 14 months old and I hated it, it was too professional and far too severe for his cherubic little face, the hairdresser cut his fringe too high and it was sort of buzzed round the sides shock

now it's grown again and needs taking away from his eyes I'm going to lift his fringe and snip about a centimetre from behind while he watches the bin lorries from the window, this is one moment I can guarantee he'll be still. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now