Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's it like being a sahm of 1 yo and 3.5 yo?

(8 Posts)
mumtocuddlebundle Fri 02-Nov-12 21:00:16

I'm having difficulty imagining what my days will be like and how we will find activities to suit both.
I do have the option to go back to work and put them into nursery but I'd rather stay at home and enjoy their early years. But I'm starting to wonder if my 3.5 yo will be really bored hanging around with me and baby. He will have preschool to go to, but that only for 2.5 hrs per day. And we'll have lots of school holiday to fill when preschool not on.

Any words of wisdom from people who've done this before?

cathpip Fri 02-Nov-12 21:06:25

my 2 are 3.5 and 21mths, the days are long and i do crave adult company but would not want to miss the early years, we do lots of baking, arts and crafts, walks in the woods, playpark. to be honest by the time you are up and have done breakfast and had a quick tidy of the house it is nearly lunchtime, the day may seem long when you think about it but the time flies by.

mumtocuddlebundle Fri 02-Nov-12 21:12:36

Thanks cathpip. I'm kinda wishing mine had been slightly closer together. You're two must do well pottling around together as they are closer in age. I'm hoping my youngest will be an early walker to make trips to the park a possibility soon.

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Fri 02-Nov-12 21:13:00

My dd's have just turned 3 and 1 and I'm now a sahm after being made redundant while on maternity leave.

I have a few friends who live nearby with children the same age as mine and this makes it so much easier as it can be pretty lonely. I also have a playgroup that I go to twice a week. Other than that we just go for walks, to the park, soft play etc.

If your eldest is at pre school I think you'll be fine, my eldest starts in January and I think it'll be really good for her. If she's been at that (even if it's only for a few hours a day) I wouldn't feel as bad having lazy days at home as I would know she'd been busy at nursery if that makes sense.

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Fri 02-Nov-12 21:20:22

We've nearly got that age gap and little one is nearly one, big one four in Feb. How old are yours at the moment? I think its the perfect gap!

I can give little one attention while big one in pre school. Big one helps me get nappies etc for little one. They play together really well when I tidy. Older one old enough to understand why I can't always attend to her and old enough to enjoy making little one laugh.

We have days we go out in the afternoons and days we mooch at home (she gets a lot of input at pre school) and an afternoon toddler group.

If I just got more sleep it would be even better!! Big one starts school next year and I'm debating returning to work but I'd love to have the time with little one and to settle big one!

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Fri 02-Nov-12 21:21:33

We go to the park and often walk to pre school. Little one goes in buggy and gets fresh air and big one plays!

mumtocuddlebundle Fri 02-Nov-12 21:34:48

They are currently 3 and a bit and 8 months.
They are really sweet together. Big one loves helping to look after little one.
One thing i find hard is that everyone I know seems to work. So I know very few people for play dates. And I feel a bit like the odd one out that I have decided to be sahm. Even if they work part time, on their days off they seem to fill them up with organised activities.

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Fri 02-Nov-12 21:55:34

I do feel lonely sometimes. I'd love to have a neighbour to just be with. In a way little one hasn't had as much attention as I've just taken her to all the things the big one-s doing. But she's gained so much more from time with her sister and saves her best giggles for her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now