Talk

Advanced search

cant get 4yo old to take liquid antibiotics

(4 Posts)
Jennylee Fri 02-Nov-12 09:53:13

She spits struggles screams, I feel like pouring it away. any sugestions to get her to take it

ISeeThreadPeople Fri 02-Nov-12 10:00:22

If you've tried hiding it in drinks/yoghurt, bribery, reward charts etc then you have a couple of options. If she really needs them you either have to force the issue or find out what the problem is. If it's flavour then you could ask for a different one.

I used to struggle with dd when she was little and had to pin her down but by 4 she understood antibiotics and medicine and was proud of her ability to do something she didn't really like. Have you told her all about what antibiotics do and why they're necessary? We did have a problem a few months ago with banana medicine. DD just did not like it at all and tried to take it but gagged a lot. We saw the gp and got a different peach and strawberry flavour and all was fine.

Tweetinat Fri 02-Nov-12 10:00:41

Ha, we're having exactly the same problem with our DS (3) and its just taken 1.5 hours to get him to have 5ml! Bloody nightmare but we managed in the end by mixing with apple juice. DS is used to having juice watered down so unwatered is so strong for him that it masked the taste. We did show him what we were doing though as we wanted him to know he was having the medicine and hadn't 'won'. If that hadn't have worked then I was going to call pharmacy and see if there was something else they could prescribe. Don't know if that's an option?

Jennylee Fri 02-Nov-12 10:43:11

thanks will definitely try apple juice, lol at showing him he hadnt won, I had to stop as I was gettign unreasonably angry really quickly, its so frustrating as she has had a sore throat for a week had to call every day to get a dr appoinment yesterday finally got the stuff then boo she won't drink it, drives one mad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now