Talk

Advanced search

8yr old trusted to go into school by himself from playground....

(25 Posts)
Mobly Fri 02-Nov-12 09:01:16

Very inarticulate thread title, brain not working properly this morning.

Would really like your opinions on the following scenario:-

Yesterday I was asked to take my nephew (8yrs old) to school. Both dn & ds1 (reception) have same start time of 8.40. Sister & I agreed I would take dn to his playground (where they wait for doors to open) but rather than wait & watch him go in, I'd leave him there, with his friends, and carry on up to the reception building to take ds1 in, rather than being late.

Dn is sensible & was fine with this.

Bumped into an aunt this morning who acted all horrified at leaving an 8th old to go in by himself. She mentioned jimmy saville.

I'm pretty sure I'm right in thinking it was ok to leave him (& all was fine) but what do you think?

WofflingOn Fri 02-Nov-12 09:03:32

Aunt is a hysterical peeedo-spotter.
8 year old was in the playground with friends at a busy time of the day, not left loitering in a park on his own at midnight.
How old are the aunt's children? Is she very over-protective of them?

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 02-Nov-12 09:03:56

Well at our school once they are in year 3 parents arent allowed into the playground so you have to drop them at the gate and leave.
Seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Mobly Fri 02-Nov-12 09:07:20

She never had children.

Hysterical paedo spottergrin

WofflingOn Fri 02-Nov-12 09:08:51

grin

The child is statistically more in danger from an uncle, or another close male relative. Tell her to put that in her pipe and smoke it.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 02-Nov-12 09:09:04

you wouldn't be allowed in the playground at my school

odd lady

aufaniae Fri 02-Nov-12 09:10:17

I used to take myself to school 2.5 miles across London at that age.

Nothing wrong with leaving in the playground!

GlaikitFizzog Fri 02-Nov-12 09:12:38

Does the aunt think jimmy saville was prowling the playground?? Odd woman

I do exactly this with my 8 and 6 year olds.

stinkymice Fri 02-Nov-12 09:16:53

er that is the routine at our primary school. Yrs 3,4,5,6 all dropped off in playground until whistle goes then they line up to go in. A few parents wit and chat, but not many. There is a teacher by the gate though welcoming pupils into school (making sure none sneak back out!)

peedoffbird Fri 02-Nov-12 09:22:33

Not a problem at all. My 9 year old dd in yr 5 walks down a short lane patrolled by lollypop lady and then into playground. Most kids of her age do it. Just ignore the silly old bat!

Beanbagz Fri 02-Nov-12 09:23:03

Gosh, i have been know to drop my two (9 & 6) off in the playground and leave when i have to get to work early. After all the playground is supervised.

Your aunt presumably has no children?

Mobly Fri 02-Nov-12 13:43:00

Well it seems we're all in agreement & dsis & I aren't negligent mothers after all grin

Why do I always doubt myself?

ivykaty44 Fri 02-Nov-12 13:45:24

She mentioned jimmy saville I think you need to tell aunty that he is dead - ok

CalmingMiranda Fri 02-Nov-12 13:47:43

I was going to ask - why are you even asking about this?

ChippingInLovesAutumn Fri 02-Nov-12 13:50:23

IVY grin

Your aunt is batshit. Ignore. He is at school, what the feck does she think happens at playtime/lunchtime?? I'd be more worried about an 8 year old that couldn't do that or the parent that wouldn't let them.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Fri 02-Nov-12 13:50:55

This is the policy at my DC's school for yr 1,2,3,4,5,6 from September. For reception from after the first few weeks (once they've had a chance to settle in)and for nursery from January.

No-one has ever been abducted from the playground by Jimmy Saville.

vodkaanddietirnbru Fri 02-Nov-12 13:51:03

we arent allowed in the playground at all even when they are in P1 aged 4! My 2 get out the car in the school car park and go ahead by themselves to the gates (my 2 are age 6 and 8) as they dont even want me to walk with them.

UC Fri 02-Nov-12 13:53:15

Utterly ridiculous. My 8 year old walks to school on his own from my house to his school, and back again at the end of school too.

Mobly Fri 02-Nov-12 14:07:47

grinivykaty.

Calmingmiranda, my head's all over the place at the moment (single mum, 3dcs, 8wks, 3 & 4) I needed some confirmation that I'm not an irresponsible aunt/mother.

ivykaty44 Fri 02-Nov-12 14:53:23

Molby - just to clarify, its your aunt that is as nutty as a fruit cake and you and your other relation are very sensible people, partly due to the fact that you look after the children well and are upstanding mothers but mostly because you know that JS is dead wink

Congrats on the baby and doing it alone smile

Mobly Fri 02-Nov-12 16:29:04

Thanks ivykaty smilegrin

WiseKneeHair Fri 02-Nov-12 16:33:01

I don't do the school run very often thank god, but when I do, I chuck my 10 and 8 yo out about 30 yds from school and they walk the last distance on their own.

Luckily I don't believe in ghosts, so I think they are safe from Jimmy Savile

WiseKneeHair Fri 02-Nov-12 16:33:36

I should make it clear, I do stop the car before chucking them out. grin

beginnings Fri 02-Nov-12 16:39:03

My brother travelled by train to school at the age of 8 ON HIS OWN!! It involved a five minute walk to the station, a five minute train journey and a walk of nearly a mile from the station to his school including crossing quite a busy road - admittedly at a set of pedestrian lights. I think your aunt would probably have reported my Mum to SS. Admittedly it was nearly 20 years ago but JS was alive then in fairness.

His choice by the way, he wanted to do it. He did it accompanied a few times and then went off by himself although I suspect my mother followed him on a couple of occasions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now