Talk

Advanced search

When do you stop nagging them to wear glasses?

(7 Posts)
LynetteScavo Thu 01-Nov-12 15:46:54

DS1 is 13 and hasn't worn his glasses for the whole of half term. He says he doesn't need them (he is +6 and +3). He also argues they are the wrong prescription, as they don't help him see. hmm (due for an eye test in January).

He always wears them for school, and I know he'll put them on on Monday morning.

For the first time since he was 4 I haven't nagged him to wear them, but know if I say anything he'll shout "I'M FINE! I CAN SEE WITHOUT THEM!"

I'm feeling like a bad mother.

QTPie Thu 01-Nov-12 17:03:08

No, I always HATED wearing glasses - other kids were always cruel sad

To be honest, getting contact lenses at 17 was a godsend - until then I would avoid whenever possible (including sports etc - so was crap at sport!)

It isn't actually until DS was born (mid 30s) that I don't really care who sees me in my glasses - I just don't suit them sad.

Does your son choose his own glasses. My parents used to insist that I had NHS glasses (you know, the horrible ones with plastic frames) - that really didn't help! At least these days I buy nice frames with ultra thin lenses (at £350 a pop): expensive, but makes the best out of a bad situation (I wear contact lenses or oerscripton sunglasses outside the house)

LynetteScavo Thu 01-Nov-12 17:36:18

He does choose his own glasses - they are Ted Baker ones.

He's only been with us this week, so it's not that he's bothered about how he looks, he just doesn't like wearing them.

I will suggest contacts and see what he says, although I personally couldn't wear them, the thought just gives me the willies.

QTPie Thu 01-Nov-12 18:40:44

Sound like nice glasses! Mine are Ted Baker too wink

Contact Lenses were the most liberating thing that I ever did - gave me so much more confidence! I felt normal, could feel attractive and started doing sports (actually found out that I was quite good at them and ended up representing Great Britain internationally - not bad for a very late bloomer).

May or may not help your son - depends what his objections to glaases are. They are quite a faff until you get used to them, but are worth it. Not sure how advisable they are for a 13 year old, though (no idea).

Good luck.

LynetteScavo Thu 01-Nov-12 19:08:33

I asked him if he'd like contacts and he said "YES!"

I asked him why he hadn't been wearing his glasses. He said becuase he didn't like them. I asked him what he didn't like about them and he just insisted he can see fine without them. hmm

I held back form saying "You won't need contacts then."

Catsmamma Thu 01-Nov-12 19:13:39

with a prescription like that he DEFINITELY needs them, but you probably know that and so does he.

I'd support him with the contacts, they'll make a huge difference to him and these days there are so many options, and lenses available, and not as expensive as they used to be. He'll always need back up specs in case of emergency eye infections/to wear in the evenings.

QTPie Thu 01-Nov-12 19:46:04

Well maybe (if you support his wishes) take him to the opticians and give it a go. I use Boots and they are excellent. You have a free "trial" (and can try different types of lenses etc): if they don't work out for your son, then you don't pay. Getting used to contact lenses can be tough - so you will see how committed he is.

It is very important that he cleans them properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now