Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for something to do this weekend with 13month in London

(9 Posts)
1500mmania Thu 01-Nov-12 09:26:16

Hi folks just looking for ideas really.

I have been away from DS looking after my mum all this week & I miss him terribly. I've got him to myself all weekend as my DH is working so I would like to do something exciting and that he will find interesting but I am drawing a blank. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking online but everything seems to be aimed at older kids. He loves music classes but I don't think there are any on near me.

I'm planning on going swimming with him on the Sunday. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I'm in se London but willing to travel (within reason)

Has anyone been to the under 5's section at the Tate? Is it worth a visit

diyqueen Thu 01-Nov-12 17:41:59

Aquarium/sea life centre?

IWillOnlyEatBeans Thu 01-Nov-12 17:48:31

My DS loved the childrens bit of the science museum and the london transport museum.

Was also going to suggest the aquarium or zoo.

I miss London! smile

vikm Thu 01-Nov-12 19:06:26

Crystal palace park - children's zoo, dinosaurs, playground...

vikm Thu 01-Nov-12 19:07:25

Zoo is probably an exaggeration! More a small farm with the addition of some reptiles!

urbandaisy Thu 01-Nov-12 19:40:31

Vauxhall or Mudchute city farms? My DS (same age) loves that sort of thing.

Wingdingdong Thu 01-Nov-12 20:23:54

Staying in SE London: Horniman Museum (small aquarium always a hit), National Maritime Museum in Greenwich is v child-friendly, plus there's a playground in Greenwich Park behind (and in Greenwich Discovery Centre across the road there are some foam building blocks which can occupy DD for 30 mins, and a blue LED line representing the river to walk along); going on a river boat, or DLR, or cable car (we've had some of our best days going round in circles:boat, DLR, train, bus...); Museum of London in Docklands; walking in woods pretending you're on a bear hunt (Oxleas Woods, Shooters Hill is good for this and has a small cafe to warm up in afterwards).

Honestly though at 13m he'd probably find a bowl of washing-up water and some plastic cups incredibly exciting, or a blanket over a couple of chairs, or some makeshift musical instruments, or pigeons to chase, if you're doing it with him. DD (now 3) was always and still is most interested in time with me (the prospect of accompanying me to Sainsbury's leaving DS and DH at home gets her hyper). Her next priority was/is the journey - transport of any kind. Finally, the destination. I have spent so much time and effort taking her to places all over town only to have her tell DH "I went on TWO buses AND a boat AND a train AND a taxi today! But we didn't go on the high train, can we do that tomorrow?"

She's so desperate to go in a car on a boat, we're planning an outing on the Woolwich Ferry... grin.

Have fun!

coldcupoftea Thu 01-Nov-12 20:27:21

I was going to say the Horniman museum too- their aquarium bit is great, and there is also a room where they can try all sorts of musical instruments, and a touchy feely nature room.

1500mmania Thu 01-Nov-12 21:11:17

Thanks folks - your right Horniman is great and I do have an annual pass so I should use it, just slightly scared of it being rammed due to half term. I also think wingding doing has hit the nail on the head, at 13 months he probably won't appreciate my planning so much! (I'll have a washing up bowl as a back up)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now