Talk

Advanced search

Tips on first night in a hotel with 11 wk old

(6 Posts)
Loislane78 Thu 01-Nov-12 08:41:22

Got a family 40th birthday party at the weekend. Its at a function room in a hotel so we've booked a room to take it in turns to watch LO so I can pop down for an hour or two scoff some food and come back to watch tv/sleep when I've had enough

We're taking her Moses basket to sleep in but as its our first night away from home, just wondered if anyone had any tips to keep them in their routine?

NeedlesCuties Thu 01-Nov-12 20:25:43

Hi fellow August thread mum!

We still haven't been anywhere with 9 week old DD yet, but I remember going away when DS was v young.

You could bring familiar things like blankets, any little toys your LO likes to look at or hear music from.

At this stage they are still pretty 'portable' and don't really get fazed by being in new locations, but they might get overwhelmed by all the people, esp if everyone wants a cuddle! I think taking them back to the room for feeds, or to settle them is a good idea, keeping the sort of hours for feeds and bedtime that you're used to.

Just remember to bring more nappies and changes of clothes than you think you'll need, you never can be too careful!

Have fun smile

sugarandspite Thu 01-Nov-12 20:33:57

I would take her along with you in a sling. She'll just sleep happily, it's a great way of preventing the 'pass the baby' game and you can stay at the party as long as you fancy.

Honestly, I know it doesn't feel it when it's your first but they really are SO portable, make the most of it and take her too.

Sling-wise though, if you don't have one already, get a stretchy wrap sling. Utterly comfy for both of you and my baby slept the second I put him in it.

Then you get to float around serenely looking like motherhood is the easiest thing in the world with two hands free to scoff cake.

BabyLabyrinth Thu 01-Nov-12 20:36:18

I second keeping your bedtime routine as similar as possible. Feed, bath, feed, bed works in a hotel room just fine.

The problem comes once they are asleep! We had to order room service, eat in the dark (well, dark-ish) and whisper to each other. Maybe your baby can sleep through the TV, but perhaps take a good book and a nightlight you can read by, just in case.

BabyLabyrinth Thu 01-Nov-12 20:37:45

Oh, X-posts with Sugar. A sling would be great, too!

KatyJ26 Thu 01-Nov-12 20:40:48

I'd go with the sling option as it can feel frustrating to think that everyone else is enjoying themselves while you are stuck in the room in the dark and feeling lonely. Hopefully at 11 weeks, not too heavy, so won't hurt your back, you'll get to enjoy yourself and enjoy spending time with your partner and feeling relatively 'normal'.
Good luck!
perhaps there are some advantages to having my willfull 5month old in NO routine whatsoever

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now