Talk

Advanced search

Outdoor outfit for 16mo non-walker

(13 Posts)
PPL Wed 31-Oct-12 13:08:32

My DS is still not walking, I know he'll get there in his own time but the thing I'm finding hard is getting out and about in the wintry weather. He's active enough to want to be out of his buggy ALL THE TIME but obviously just ends up filthy and it takes double the effort from me - Always need an entire change of clothes after trip to the park, which of course makes him cold as I am stripping him off.

SO what should I buy? Just forked out on a lovely P.O.P coat thinking he'd be walking soon but its so big and unwieldy at the moment, I think it will fit him next winter!

Was thinking this: www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+waterproof-fleece-lined-all-in-ones-in-coats-rainwear-and-wellies+B8516

or this: polarnopyret.co.uk/baby-waterproofs-2039

Love the POP one but soooo expensive.

Or are separates better? Am a bit overwhelmed with sno suits/splash suits/fleeces - can't I buy something that does it all?!

And what about his feet?! obv can't put him in wellies. He has some prewalkers but they're not very outdoorsy, and his little toes get so cold!

Thanks!

RillaBlythe Wed 31-Oct-12 13:11:21

I think you need a splash suit for sure. I have a Regatta one off Ebay that is just a waterproof layer so I dress her warmly underneath it. I suppose buying separates (Hippychick do nice waterproof dungarees I think) might give you more flexibility.

No idea what to advise about the feet. I was very pleased DD starting walking in September as already her feet were getting soaking wet in those soft leather shoes she was crawling around in. Can you get baby gaiters?!

FrightRunScream Wed 31-Oct-12 13:16:55

I'd say you want a Bush Baby Hot Tot. They are all in one, fleece lined, waterproof suits. The toddler sizes don't have feet, so you can use bellies or the matching waterproof fleece lined booties. On phone so can't do links, but google "Bush Baby Hot Tot". They sell them at Little Trekkers (Elsecar near Sheffield or on line). I'd say, at this stage all in one better than 2 piece to avoid gaps in the middle when falling over. After 2, jacket and trousers more flexible.

bagpuss Wed 31-Oct-12 13:18:37

Muddy puddles do a selection of all in one type suits and also pop over bootees. We had them when ds2 was not walking and I could let him out in the garden to go on climbing frame/slide without him getting wet. I also had jojo polartec fleece separates for underneath. I found I could mix and match these depending on what was required.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 31-Oct-12 13:21:14

I would probably get a fleece lined all in one waterproof. There's no reason why he can't have wellies. Chances are he'll be walking in the next few months.

I always stay away from the overly padded stuff because lo's can't move around in them very well.

Last winter ds (only crawling) had the JoJo all in one polar fleece and he was always toasty warm in it, so I should think their fleece lined waterproof would be good too.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 31-Oct-12 13:26:22

You need a Spotty Otter Splash suit and some of their booties (waterproof, insulated and fleece lined)

PPL Wed 31-Oct-12 13:35:04

argh too many to choose from! I also found this one
www.hm.com/gb/product/00561?article=00561-A#article=00561-B

I guess I should go and have a look at some really...

Those boots look great, thank you FrightRunScream and Bagpuss. And Itsallgoingtobefine!

Teladi Wed 31-Oct-12 13:38:39

I got one of the Spotty Otter warm and waterproof suits off eBay for my 14mo non-walker. For her feet I got Stonz soft boots and liners, also second hand, as I am kind of hoping she MIGHT be walking and need something a bit more structured by the end of the winter.

Next year I think I am going to get her a jacket and dungarees rather than an all in one as I think it will be more practical.

Needalifeagain Wed 31-Oct-12 13:38:40

Second the regatta waterproof all in one.
Get next size up so plenty room to layer underneath.
Really waterproof put over Wellies and tackles even the buggiest muddiest puddles!

Woodlands Thu 01-Nov-12 11:16:19

I sympathise, I had the same problem this time last year when my DS was also 16 months! I also just got a waterproof all in one suit - the snow suits don't tend to be quite so waterproof, and also the waterproof ones can then be used all year round for splashing in puddles. Plus they're cheaper. You can then layer up underneath.

For shoes, I bought my DS some cruisers at about this time last year which were fairly waterproof (similar to these). People go on about how you don't need shoes until they are walking, but you bloody well do if it's autumn and they are crawling around in the mud and climbing on climbing frames etc. He also had wellies but they didn't really work for crawling and climbing in.

Woodlands Thu 01-Nov-12 11:17:39

Oh also, the waterproof all in ones are also known as puddlesuits if you're googling!

gourd Thu 01-Nov-12 11:58:08

Aldi often have splash-suits as well as seperates (waterproof dungarees and jackets which I think are bettre as LO has short legs and long body) as well as thermal underwear and good warm coats for kids. The thermal base layers and long johns are really good. They do them in various types but they have the really warm fleece ones today - £4.99 a set.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week44Thursday12.htm

Before LO walked properly we used snugglefeet leather ""pram shoes"/soft shoes with wool or "ski" socks for warmth. The shoes are stretchy and soft so you can fit thick-ish socks underneath. Snugglefeet even do a soft leather fur lined boot whch was excellent even with thin cotton socks. LO even wore them in the snow and they were reasonably waterproof too, even when she actually stood in a puddle!
http://www.snugglefeet.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=boots
Ours were the navy blue version though.

gourd Thu 01-Nov-12 12:00:24

BTW should have said Ours wore Aldi thermals age 2-3 from about 12 months and has just gworn out of 3-4 aged 2.1, so go for larger size, or try on in store to be sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now