Talk

Advanced search

When did you take your baby out of sleepsuits?

(31 Posts)
SamsMommyXXX Wed 31-Oct-12 10:21:25

...already I'm getting fed up of DS's sleepsuits (he is just over 2 weeks) and they are getting so bobbly so quickly with the amount of washing and burping! I wondered when you ladies moved over to outfits in the day and sleepsuits at night?

Thanks!

KatAndKit Wed 31-Oct-12 10:30:21

Outfits in the day are a big faff when you are still changing loads on nappies. My DS is 6 months now and only gets an outfit on it the day if we are out somewhere.
Sleepsuits will get bobbly but it's better than spoiling lots of nice outfits which are more expensive. A newborn is more comfy in sleepsuits anyway as they like to sleep a lot. At he will be out of that size very very soon so it won't matter that the sleepsuits are not in tip top condition as you will have to get bigger ones soon.

Some0ne Wed 31-Oct-12 12:01:42

DD was in outfits from about 3 weeks.

With DS I was more sensible and he's still in babygros at 8.5 months.

It doesn't matter about bobbles, they outgrow everything in a matter of weeks anyway. Outfits are far more trouble than they're worth, and not as comfy.

TomsBentPinky Wed 31-Oct-12 12:04:39

My Ds is 18 months and in a sleepsuit today. but its a stay home day. he does usually wear clothes!

But i did keep him in sleepsuits till about 6 months as hes my last baby!!

GoldPlatedNineDoors Wed 31-Oct-12 12:28:54

Dd was in outfits from about 6weeks but these consisted of leggings and tops or a long sleeved vest over a pair of tights, so nothing too exciting.

Coincidentally she is in a sleepsuit during the daytime today (11mo) as it is a black one with a white skeleton on for halloween.

Iggly Wed 31-Oct-12 13:58:58

I switched to two piece outfits for ds quite early on. So trousers and tops.

QTPie Wed 31-Oct-12 14:28:44

About 3 months or so. Sleep suits are just so easy to put on and take off and they are easy to wash and dry too. They are also pretty comfortable and newborns sleep quite a lot.

But do what suits you best.

EugenesAxe Wed 31-Oct-12 14:36:51

In the day... about 3 months, unless going to an 'event' in which case I called on the small number of 0-3 outfits I'd been given.

For sleeping... about 21 months.

scarevola Wed 31-Oct-12 14:39:42

My eldest baby (now teen) has just moved back into sleepsuits (aka onesies) and happily stays in them round the clock.

Eases the laundry considerably grin

notcitrus Wed 31-Oct-12 15:16:16

6-9 months for ds - odd outfit before that. Dd has had a few more outfits but at 9mo spends the odd day in sleepsuits still.
Sleepsuits for nighttime until 18mo ish.

DawnOfTheDee Wed 31-Oct-12 15:20:13

I got sneered at by some evil witches mums for still having DD in sleepsuits at around 6 months. My reasoning is a) DD doesn't know/care what she's wearing b) they're easy for me c) they're comfy for her. Their LO's were sat around in faffy dresses while my DD was crawling round happily in her sleepsuit.

Can't be arsed with proper 'outfits' unless at a party/occasion..

Pascha Wed 31-Oct-12 15:20:47

I used both sleepsuits and tops/trousers from about a month old, maybe younger and mixed/matched until about 9 months I suppose. Nighttime I got rid of them at about 10-11 months. When there were just too many sodding poppers to cope with.

ipswichwitch Wed 31-Oct-12 15:32:20

DS was about 6 months before I started routinely putting him in outfits during the day, and then it was always soft jogging bottoms and tops, never jeans. He still wears sleep suits now (he's 1) for bed and occasionally wears them during the day if we stay home/he's poorly. Tbh, they're easier to deal with and at least he doesnt have the problem of trousers falling down and stopping him trying to walk

sparklekitty Wed 31-Oct-12 15:51:23

My dd is 5 weeks, she's usually in sleep suits but we do have some cute outfits that we put her in if we're going to see people or have visitors. We also have some lovely patterned sleep suits that she wears during the day and white ones for night time. There are some really pretty sleep suits out there and they look so comfortable (I am slightly jealous of some baby things, especially the grobag type sleeping bags!)

MacMac123 Wed 31-Oct-12 17:39:45

I had DS1 in outfits (ie jeans and tops) from about 3 weeks.
This was utter madness.
dD due. She will be in sleep suits for prob 6 months, apart from if an 'occasion' or something. Am not faffing around with 'outfits' again for a tiny baby, especially over winter!

HearMyRoar Wed 31-Oct-12 19:54:40

DD was mostly in sleepsuits until I went to work at 4.5 months and DP took over the full time care for 3 months. I think he likes dressing her in little outfits the big softey grin

As others have said I wouldn't worry about them looking a bit old as she will grow out of them in about a week!

Flisspaps Wed 31-Oct-12 20:03:27

My two were in outfits in the day and babygros at night from birth. To me they're pyjamas. I've never found actual outfits any more faff to change. I've not had particularly sicky or leaky-poo babies though.

However, some people keep their DC in babygros until they're past 6 months, and they think I'm bonkers for having day clothes/night clothes.

If you don't want to keep your baby in babygros 24/7, then don't. If you want to keep the babygros as the main kind of outfit, then do. If you want your DC to wear fancy dress every day, then dress him in fancy dress!

JollyJackOLantern Wed 31-Oct-12 20:06:50

I agree 100% with flisspaps.

Loislane78 Wed 31-Oct-12 20:15:36

DD1 11 wks - I have daytime sleep suits (slightly fancier ones with nice patterns, Next do good ones which have lasted really well) and nighttime sleep suits (those that are plain or a bit mangled in some way)! Will wear an 'outfit' every few days but they are either tights/leggings and a jersey/soft 'dress' as these are comfy and easy access for changing. My sister v generously went OTT on fluffy dresses, took em all back and exchanged for grow bags that will last 6 months smile

lyndie Wed 31-Oct-12 20:19:09

A mixture used here but I didn't think cotton sleep suits were warm enough for being in our cold house or out and about. I had some lovely outfits for all 3 of mine from an early age -what is wrong with dressing your baby in something lovely? They were comfortable, warm and practical. I think a vest, cardi and leggings are easier to change with minimal poppers too!

blacktreaclecat Wed 31-Oct-12 21:11:40

Maybe 8 weeks. I always "get him ready for the day". Face wash, creams, clean nappy. Sometimes an outfit, sometimes a clean sleepsuit. If we stay in I will sometimes put on clean PJs rather than getting dressed so he does the same.
His outfits are comfy - either footless rompers with socks or bodysuit with soft dungarees over.

MumofWombat Thu 01-Nov-12 00:37:54

I think as long as 'outfits' are comfortable does it matter? DS wore outfits from three weeks (but he did spend those weeks only wearing a nappy in NICU, so clothes were a big deal for me), but those outfits were what I'd call rompers or bonds leggings with a tshirt. He didn't wear jeans until well after his first birthday (they just seemed bulky and uncomfortable). I still have sleep suits for nighttime and I much prefer them to the pyjamas he has. But we are heading into summer now so it won't be long and he'll be sleeping in just a nappy and a vest.

paperclips Thu 01-Nov-12 03:34:10

My boy is 5 weeks and only wearing only babygros at the moment, we have plplenty of plain ones and hand-me-downs, but have "best" babygros for visitors etc. The best clothes seem to get poked/pooped on! Plenty of room in the newborn sized clothes still he's only small.

I've got a lot of cute but comfy outfits in 0 - 3 months size, all too big but so looking forward to cute outfits.

soft trousers with feet in, and a long sleeved top with a vest under is quite practical, especially if u can mix and match tops if one half of an outfit gets dirty.

KatAndKit Thu 01-Nov-12 10:04:58

Rompers are a nice outfit solution for little babies, they are pretty much a daytime babygrow without the front poppers - looks less night time and just as comfortable for a newborn baby.

gourd Thu 01-Nov-12 10:14:39

About 3 months, when she outgrew all the ones we had been given/could find that were not at ridiculous prices. LO was in 6-9 Months quite early so by then it's hard to find sleepsuits'babygros. Sleepsuits are much the easiest things to put them in though so was quite irritated that we had to go over to proper clothes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now